Groundbreaking held for Latter-day Saint Chapel The Vermillion Branch of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is holding a groundbreaking for their new chapel on Sunday, Oct. 25, at 3 p.m. The church will be located at 20 South Mickelson Avenue.
Speakers for the groundbreaking are Mayor Bill Radigan and Vermillion Branch member Ray Thompson. The ceremony is under the direction of Branch President Fred Peabody, and Sioux City Iowa Stake officials will attend. The Vermillion Branch Choir and the Primary Children's Chorus will provide music for the event.
The general contractor for the building project is Mueller Lumber Company of Mitchell. According to Bob Kerwin, office foreman, construction will begin this week and should be completed in February 1999. Subcontract work will be completed by local companies. Johnson Electric of Vermillion, Fejfar Plumbing in Yankton and Masonary Components of Yankton are some of the participating subcontractors. Jim Hybertson of Viborg will do the brickwork.
Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints were at Fort Vermillion in the winter of 1846. They left the area when the main body of the Church migrated to Salt Lake City beginning in 1847.
The Vermillion Branch was formed Dec. 11, 1995, from the Yankton Branch. There are 119 members in Vermillion and over 10 million members worldwide. The Vermillion Branch is one of nearly 25,000 congregations.
One feature of the new building will be a complete Family History Center. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints operates the largest genealogical library in the world. Members have gathered millions of volumes of birth, death, marriage and other records that are available on microfilm through Family History Centers or at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City. The addition of a center in Vermillion will enable patrons now traveling to either Yankton or Sioux City to do research here.
The congregation is currently meeting in a rented building at 4 West Cherry. Members renovated the Stewart's Hair shop and have been meeting there since 1996.