Hazeltine: Vote Nov. 3 and make a difference "You have a chance every two years to make a difference," says Secretary of State Joyce Hazeltine. "Don't waste that chance. Vote as if your whole world depends on it."
On November 3, South Dakota voters can go to the polls from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Central Time or
7 a.m.-7 p.m. Mountain Time. if you need to vote absentee, you should go to your county auditor's office or send a request with an original signature to the auditor so that the ballot may be mailed to you.
Hazeltine said voters should remember:
* If they make a mistake or other incorrect mark on their ballot, they may ask for another ballot � and another � up to three ballots.
* No one may campaign or have signs, literature or any item � including a shirt that advocates one candidate or one issue � in the polling place or less than 100 feet from the entrance of the polling place.
* Poll watchers may not interfere with the election in any way, but may legally observe the election process.
* Candidates are not allowed to act as messengers to carry a ballot to someone who is voting absentee.
* Straight party ballots were eliminated by the legislature in 1997 so you must mark each candidate's name.
On November 3, South Dakota voters will go to the polls to elect a U.S. senator and representative, governor and lieutenant governor, secretary of state, attorney general, state auditor, state treasure, commissioner of school and public lands, a public utilities commissioner, 105 state legislators, several county officials and circuit court judges and supreme court justice retention. They will also vote on eight constitutional amendments and one referred law.
"These officials are your officials," Hazeltine says. "They will be in charge of the state's business for years to come. This is serious business."
Anyone with voting questions may call the Office of the Secretary of State on their toll-free line at 1-888-70ELECT. Statewide, legislative and judicial results will be available election night starting at 8:15 p.m. by calling 1-888-70ELECT or by visiting the Secretary of State web page at: http://www.state.sd.us/sos/results/results.htm. Web page results will be updated every five minutes.