Residents welcome to 'Share the Dream' Residents of the Vermillion area are welcome to "Share the Dream" by purchasing hand-crafted products made by Guatemalan women.
The products currently are on display in the office of Dick Sunde, a Vermillion insurance agent.
"Sharing the Dream" is a project that promotes fair trade with cooperatives and small businesses in Guatemala. It is committed to providing fair wages and employment opportunities to low-income artisans which will result in creating sustainable markets for their products. Weaving is an ancient and revered craft for these Mayan women. All of the fabric is hand woven either on backstrap or foot looms.
When one buys this beautiful work of art, he or she is not only providing work to these women, but the profits go to the following projects:
* providing financial help to the orphanage Casa Guatemala located in the jungle.
* providing educational scholarships for Guatemalan women and children.
* starting a nutrition center in the mountains.
* buying school supplies for Mayan children in the mountains.
* providing a medical school scholarship for a young Queqchi women from the jungle.
All the people involved with "Share the Dream" are volunteers so 100 percent of the profits go back to the people of Guatemala.
For more information contact: Diane Nesselhuf, 31612 471 Ave., Burbank, SD 57010.