SDPTV Summer Fest programs begin Aug. 7 South Dakota Public television features live Frank Patterson appearance for SummerFest. It's time for SummerFest '99. South Dakota Public Television has a great lineup in store for the annual summertime pledge drive, including a live appearance at the SDPTV studio of singing star Frank Patterson, Ireland's "Golden Tenor."
The SummerFest fund-
raiser runs from Saturday, Aug. 7, through Sunday, Aug. 15, with a dynamite schedule of music, history, advice and fun each evening.
The highlight will be Patterson's visit to the state. He will share his Irish charm with South Dakotans during live breaks in his heartwarming program Frank Patterson � Songs of Inspiration at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 11. The show features Patterson, touted as Ireland's greatest living tenor, singing some of the most beloved hymns and songs of all time in a series of beautiful locations. The show takes him from Europe to America's shores with songs ranging from hymns to the romantic.
Another featured event is America Quilts, a new special on the art and mystique of this traditional American craft, airing at 4 p.m. Aug. 14. Two master quilters from South Dakota, Yvonne Hollenbeck, maker of the prize-winning South Dakota centennial quilt "Sundown on a Century," and Elaine LeBeau, a talented Lakota star quilt expert, will be on hand during breaks to share their insights about quilting.
Once again, the MemberCard will be available for SummerFest donors. Viewers who pledge $65 or more will receive a MemberCard, entitling them to two entrees for the price of one at more than 100 South Dakota restaurants. The MemberCard is just one of the many "thank you" gifts available to viewers who pledge.
* SummerFest revs up at 4:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 7, with an upbeat advice program: Relax! You Only Live Once, With Loretta Laroche. That is followed at 6 p.m. by a new Welk family special � Lawrence Welk's Songs of Faith � your favorite British comedies from 8 to 10 and a New Age music special: A Night with Secret Garden at 10 p.m.
* Sunday, Aug. 8, starts out with tour of great artworks in Sister Wendy-Odyssey at 6 p.m. Then it's on to three musical specials featuring teen-age Welsh singing sensation Charlotte Church at 7 p.m., glorious soprano Sarah Brightman at 8 p.m. and tender romance with tenor Andrea Bocelli at 9:30 p.m.
* On Monday, Aug. 9 at 7 p.m. SummerFest explores Antiques Roadshow abroad, keeps the beat with the Bee Gees at 8 p.m. and continues the art tour with Sister Wendy at 10 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 10, features a repeat of the Loretta LaRoche special on stress at 7 p.m. followed by a look at The Germans from Russia, featuring settlers across the Great Plains, at 8:30 p.m.; and ends with a comic episode of Red Green at 10 p.m.
* The Frank Patterson extravaganza at Wednesday, Aug. 11, is followed at 9 CT/8MT by more great music as part of the Andrew Lloyd Webber 50th Birthday Celebration. The lineup for Thursday, Aug. 12, begins at 7 p.m. with Ballykissangel, followed by a compelling and colorful combination of Broadway dance and Native American Culture � Spirit: A Journey in Dance, Drums & Song at 8. The evening ends with a repeat of Sarah Brightman's musical special at 9 p.m.
* Saturday, Aug. 14, starts out with the quilting special, followed by a taped repeat of the Frank Patterson event at 6, a Bee Gees concert at 8 p.m. and a performance by the European singing sensation The Corrs at 10 p.m.
* The event wraps up on Sunday, Aug. 15, with another advice special: Don't Sweat the Small Stuff … And It's All Small Stuff at 4:30 p.m.; followed by a joyous celebration of barbershop singing: Can't Stop Singing at 6 p.m. The SummerFest finale features three top tenors from Ireland with a sweet and nostalgic collection of traditional songs at 8 p.m.
For information about this or other South Dakota Public Broadcasting programs, call 1(800)456-0766 or visit the SDPB Web site (www.dpb.org).