Residents urged to test for radon gas

Residents urged to test for radon gas Odorless and colorless, radon moves silently inside your home. But don't let radon fool you. The gas is not harmless.

Exposure to radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the U.S. This fall, the American Lung Association of South Dakota urges you to test your home for the presence and level of radon gas.

Testing for radon is the only way to know if you have a radon problem. A test is a simple, low-cost way to take the first step in radon management.

Radon comes from deposits of uranium in soil, rock and water. It enters homes through holes and cracks in the foundation, openings around floor drains in the foundations and other places. Exposure to elevated levels of radon over a long period of time can cause lung cancer.

Radon in the air can be inhaled into the lungs, where it undergoes radioactive decay. As it decays, radon releases tiny bursts of energy called alpha particles, which can harm sensitive lung tissue by damaging the DNA and leading to lung cancer.

For more information on radon and a coupon to order a test kit, contact the American Lung Association of South Dakota at 1-800-873-5864 or (605) 336-7222. Or email: bobr@americanlungsd.org. The test kit is made available by the National Safety Council for $7.

Cost includes analysis of the test which will tell you the level of radon in your home and whether further action is needed. Information about corrective measures you can take is included.

Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>