Relay for Life seeking teams

Relay for Life seeking teams Groups of people from all over the Vermillion area are getting ready to put on their walking shoes to step out in the fight against cancer. Whether they are employee groups, families, church youth groups, sororities and fraternities, professional organizations, or neighbors � they are all creating teams to walk in the DakotaDome Relay for Life 2000.

Some have been touched personally by cancer. They may be cancer survivors themselves or have loved ones who have won or lost in the battle against cancer. Others are concerned about building awareness of cancer in our community. All are committed to raising much-needed funds to aid in research and services in the community.

Many teams have already formed for the Feb. 26 event; however, more teams are needed. It's simple to get involved.

Relay teams are groups of up to 15 people who commit to taking turns walking or running around the DakotaDome track between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 26. Teams are encouraged to set up "campsites" � gathering places for team members to visit, play games, eat, and have fun! Lunch and snacks will be provided to participants and a variety of entertainment and activities will be going on throughout the day. Fun and fundraising go hand in hand for relay participants.

Teams help raise funds by paying on initial team fee of $150 and by individual team member's fundraising efforts. Together with contributions from event partners and sponsors and sales of luminaries, these funds will help the Clay County American Cancer Society meet their $20,000 goal for the 2000 Relay. Of the money raised, 40 percent will go toward research. The remaining 60 percent will be used in Vermillion and the surrounding area for services to cancer patients, support groups, and educational outreach.

"Nobody asks why they should get involved in the Relay for Life," says Relay Team Recruitment Chairperson Elaine Larson. "People see this as a chance to make a difference. And we want to make it easy for them to accomplish it. We'll answer their questions, provide them with team packets, and be their 'cheerleaders' as they put together their teams." For Larson, getting involved with the relay is a way to honor her mother, a cancer survivor who has walked in Relay for Life events for seven years. "The fact that she's healthy and showing her thankfulness by walking demonstrates how important this effort is."

Business partners to date are Rasmussen Motors, Vermillion Civic Council, Mount Trucks, Norwest Bank, Clay County Abstract & Title Company, Vermillion Fertilizer Company, and the Vermillion Medical Clinic.

To find out more about putting together a relay team or joining an existing team, contact Elaine Larson at 624-2437, Wess Pravecek at 624-5352 or Janet Mount at 624-9373.

Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>