Gymnasts place second at SF Lincoln triangular In a make-up meet originally scheduled for Nov. 28, the Tanager gymnastics team placed second in the Sioux Falls Lincoln triangular last Thursday Dec. 7 at LHS, scoring 103.25 points, with a team decimated by illness.
Lincoln was first with 127.8 points and Brandon Valley scored 85.05 for third.
There were several sterling performances by the young Tanagers. Vermillion's participants, with their scores and place in each event, are listed below.
Brittney Gilkyson � bars 7.25 (fifth), and vault 7.8;
Tabitha Hubert � beam 5.3;
Carley Bernard � beam 3.8;
Beth Pier � beam 5.6, floor 7.5, and vault 7.5;
Katie Connors � bars 4.7, beam 5.1, floor 6.8, vault 8.1 (fifth), and all-around 24.7 (seventh);
Natalie Tuetken � bars 6.7;
Sarah Gregg � beam 3.6;
Megan Epping � floor 3.6;
Sarah Christopherson � bars 7.4 (fourth, beam 4.5, floor 7.7 (fifth), vault 7.7, and all-around 27.3 (sixth);
Totals � bars 26.05, beam 20.5, floor 25.6, vault 31.1.
"We were shorthanded at the meet last night," saidCoach Mark Upward. "Meganne Hovden and Amber Reisdorph both attended the meet but were spectators as they each became ill. We had great individual performances from several girls who helped to pick up the slack � as noted below."
1. Katie Connors � best beam routine of the year, highest score on vault for the year;
2. Brittney Gilkyson � had personal best performances on bars and vault;
3. Natalie Tuetken � added new moves to her bar routine to bring it up to a more competitive level;
4. Sarah Christopherson � first beam routine of the year for team with no falls;
5. Megan Epping � as a seventh-grader had to fill a varsity spot on floor exercise due to illness of regular varsity participants (it was her first-ever competition and her score was a help in making the final team score over 100.)
The junior varsity also finished second and Tyra Upward placed fourth in both beam and vault.