Vermillion sites added to National Register list The South Dakota State Historical Society has announced that several more properties in South Dakota have been listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The National Register, administered by the National Park Service, is the federal government's official list of historic properties worthy of preservation. The State Historic Preservation Office of the State Historical Society processes applications for the National Register.
"Listing in the National Register provides recognition and assists in preserving our state's heritage," said Jay D. Vogt, SHPO director. "It does not mean that limitations will be placed on the properties by the federal government."
Any property at least 50 years old possessing historic significance and maintaining its historic appearance and structure may qualify for the National Register, according to Vogt. For more information, contact the State Historic Preservation Office at (605) 773-3458 or go to their Web site at www.sdhistory.org/histpres.htm.
Here is a brief description of each of the new National Register listings:
Sexauer Seed Company
Historic District, Brookings
The district is significant in the area of agriculture. A distinguished early Brookings resident, George P. Sexauer, who established an extensive grain milling company in Brookings County, established the Sexauer Seed Company. Sexauer expanded his holdings in 1897 and purchased the Brookings Mill Company. The complex has a strong presence in the Brookings community. The complex is a compilation of types of milling resources and an example of a successful business. The seed company also owes its success to the establishment of the State Agriculture College, now called South Dakota State University, in Brookings. The Sexauer Seed Company stands as a company that thrived because of change.
Mabel and David Jones
The historic nature of this house dominates the block it is located in on Park Street, as most of the other buildings in the area experienced modernization in the 1970s. The Mabel and David Jones house expresses the elements of the Prairie School and Colonial Revival architectural style elements. It is a two-and-one-half-story brick house resting on a rusticated stone foundation. The owners and operators of Jones Drug and vice-president of Midland National Life Insurance built the house in 1909.
Spink County Courthouse,
This building is historically significant as the symbolic and functional seat of government for Spink County. The courthouse is the most important single physical element in the historic and contemporary government of Spink County. This 1927 building uses the Classical Revival architectural style that is typical of the courthouses built in this era.
Ward Hall, Ward
Constructed in 1925, this building is an excellent example of the Craftsman style on a public building in South Dakota. The hall is significant for its distinctive architectural style and its role in the community of Ward.
SD DOT Bridge Numbers
14-130-176 and 14-133-170,
These two bridges are significant for their engineering design of a Warren Through Truss. Both bridges were constructed between 1910 and 1920. These bridges are two of five remaining Warren Through Truss-type in South Dakota.
SD DOT Bridge Number
54-056-158 (Forest City
This bridge, constructed between 1957 and 1959, is located in the vicinity of La Plant in Dewey and Potter Counties. The bridge is significant as a major component of the reclamation projects in South Dakota and for its engineering design of a Warren Through Truss. It is one of only five remaining Warren Through Truss-type bridges in South Dakota.
Prentis Park, Vermillion
Charles Prentis created this park in 1923 through a donation of land. Facilities at the park include a log cabin, picnic shelters, baseball field and a band shell. The park is significant for its role in community history and architecture, more specifically the role of the Work Progress Administration in the construction of many of the structures.