Vermillion receives achievement award at Governor's Economic Development Conference Nine South Dakota communities went home with $10,500 in prizes following the presentation of the South Dakota Achievement Awards at the Governor's Economic Development Conference held April 4 in Pierre.
The awards program, a friendly competition between South Dakota communities, focuses on individual project accomplishments for the past year. The cash prizes are donated by the following sponsors: Basin Electric Power Cooperative, Black Hills Power, East River Electric Power Cooperative, MidAmerican Energy Company, Montana-Dakota Utilities Company, NorthWestern Energy & Communications Solutions, Otter Tail Power Company, Rushmore Electric Power Cooperative, West River Electric Association, and Xcel Energy.
In each economic development region, a $1,500 prize was awarded. In addition, three $500 prizes were awarded statewide. Regional winners are as follows:
* East central � Willow Lake for their library/museum project
* Southeast � Vermillion for putting together a marketing CD Rom
* South central � Chamberlain for the Cedar Heights Development Park
* North central � Webster for the Dakota Tube expansion
* Central � Harrold for the location of Global Harvest Birdseed
* West � Hot Springs for retaining and restoring health care services
Statewide awards were presented to the following:
* Aberdeen for the attraction of Mutual of Omaha
* Eagle Butte for creating the Four Bands Community Fund
* Miner County for their efforts to spruce up the county.