Historic South Dakota Foundation announces award winners The Historic South Dakota Foundation announces this year's recipients of the annual Preservation Awards. Each year, the Historic South Dakota Foundation recognizes the efforts of individuals, organizations and projects whose contributions demonstrate outstanding excellence in historic preservation.
The awards will be presented at a luncheon on May 10. The luncheon will take place during the annual preservation conference held in Pierre. Review the Web site at www.preservesd.org for more information concerning the conference, or call and ask for a conference brochure.
The awards and conference celebrate National Preservation Week. Recipients include: Cleo Erickson, Vermillion � Preservation achievement Award for Volunteer Service.
Preservationist of the Year
This is a very special award to honor individuals whose leadership skills, knowledge and efforts have given new meaning to historic preservation in their community or throughout the state. This year's recipient is Steve McCarthy of Rapid City.
Former owner of MAC Construction based in Rapid City, McCarthy is known for his quality work and love of historic preservation. Paul Swedlund, Rapid City Historic Preservation Commissioner said, "Steve is a real pioneer in historic preservation, both from the point of view doing restoration on his own projects and being a contractor willing to undertake a restoration project."
McCarthy's first project in 1977 was renovation of the 1915 Firehouse in Rapid City and has since worked on 28 rehabilitation projects throughout western South Dakota, Nebraska and Wyoming. He has saved important historic landmarks by purchasing them before demolition and restoring them for successful, commercial businesses. A few of the projects he has worked on include the Deadwood City Hall Archives, Prairie Edge Bldg. (RC), Woolworth Bldg. (RC), Mathew's Opera House in Spearfish, JC Penney Bldg. (RC) Deadwood Public Library, Deadwood Adams Museum, Lead Mercantile Bldg., Lawrence County Courthouse, Buell Bldg. (RC), Elks Bldg. (RC), and Ranch A in Beulah, WY.
McCarthy and MAC Construction received the Master Craftsman Award in 1981, 1991, 1992, and 1993. He retired from construction a few years ago selling his business to his son-in-law, Peter, who also shares his love of historic buildings. He now manages McCarthy Properties L.L.C., a real estate development company.
Preservation Achievement Award for Stewardship
This award is to honor those who are ensuring the preservation of historic properties through long-term care and maintenance, stabilization, protection or continuous family ownership. This year's recipient is the Galena Historical Society in Galena (near Deadwood) for their care and work preserving the Galena historic schoolhouse. This award will be presented on May 13 at the Galena schoolhouse. Details to be announced at a later date.
The society's main project is the restoration and maintenance of the Galena rural one-room schoolhouse built in 1882, which they own. Each year the society holds the Galena Run/Walk to the old school on the Sunday before Labor Day. They also design and sell Galena sweatshirts and hold drawings as fundraisers for the school. The sweatshirts feature
"Toot sie," South Dakota's official state coyote who lived her life in Galena. In addition, the society maintains the Galena (Vinegar Hill) Cemetery.
Preservation Achievement Award for Volunteer
This award is to honor those who have spent countless hours volunteering their services for historic preservation. This year's recipient is Cleo Erickson of Vermillion. Erickson has always been interested in history and historic preservation, averaging 30 volunteer hours a week.
In 1969, Erickson and eight other Vermillion residents founded the Clay County Historical Society. She served as the society's first secretary, developed bylaws, wrote the constitution and recruited members. She continues to serve the CCHS either on the board or as a member. In addition, she is a very active and involved member of the Sioux Valley Genealogical Society of Sioux Falls and the Clay County Historic Preservation Commission.
As president of the Clay County Historical Society in 1990, she helped create an endowment fund for the maintenance and restoration of the historic Austin-Whittemore House. She continues to volunteer at the Austin-Whittemore House museum today, managing staff, organizing fund-raising events and documenting the many beautiful artifacts of the historic home.
According to Vermillion Mayor Roger Kozak, "She not only spends time protecting and preserving the history of Vermillion, she also spends many hours giving tours to school children and the general public � always telling the story of Vermillion in a most interesting and factual manner.
Preservation Achievement Award for Education/Media
This award is to honor those who demonstrate exemplary promotion of awareness in the field of historic preservation. This year's award goes to Lois Varvel and Kathy Grow of Yankton for the book they wrote jointly � The Bridge We Built: The Story of Yankton's Meridian Bridge.
With 140 pictures that span more than 75 years, this 240-page book is an excellent historical record of the Meridian Bridge. Their efforts to educate the public on the interesting and important history of the bridge help promote the importance of saving South Dakota's most important historic treasures for future generations.
Continued on page 8B
Award for Excellence in Historic Restoration
This award recognizes exemplary restorations of historic residential or commercial buildings. A restoration project returns a building to an earlier condition and appearance for its original purpose. This year's recipient is the Triangle Ranch Bed & Breakfast near Phillip.
Owners Kenny and Lyndy Ireland have lovingly restored their family ranch, which has been in Lyndy's family since 1903. The main house, a beautiful ornate, two-story "Sears" home of Spanish "Alhambra" style, was built in 1923 after the family had been living in a sod house. The Irelands have fully restored the stucco finish and foundation, plus continue to maintain the interior according to The National Park Service Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties. In addition, a historic garage has been restored which features a unique door and round window.
Award for Excellence in
This award recognizes exemplary rehabilitation of historic residential or commercial buildings. A rehabilitation project makes possible an efficient contemporary use while preserving significant portions and features of the building. Two awards will be given this year to the Masonic Library Building located in Sioux Falls and the Central Block Building in Pierre.
Masonic Library Building, Sioux Falls
With a terra cotta fa�ade and a rotunda featuring a stained glass dome, the Masonic Library Building in downtown Sioux Falls has been called by some the best example of neoclassical architecture in South Dakota.
The partners at Architecture, Incorporated purchased the Masonic Library for rehabilitation into offices for the firm. The Deadwood Fund contributed to the rehab of the building's unique stained glass, skylit dome, the feature of the open-to-the-public rotunda. The firm's studio occupies the former library area, and preserves some of the original glass floor library shelving stacks. Work continues in preserving the building, including additional replication and repair work on the fa�ade with the support of the Sioux Falls Historic Preservation Fa�ade Easement program. The project received a Mayoral Award for Preservation last year.
Central Block Building, Pierre
When Fee Jacobsen purchased the building a few years ago, the upstairs was capped off with no utilities or services and the windows were boarded up. The upstairs area, which was originally office space, now houses two wonderful upscale apartments. Working closely with state and federal authorities insuring the rehabilitation was done to perfection, all aspects of the building beautifully highlight its historic character.
The staircase was restored and all upstairs windows were replaced with period windows. Extra care was taken with cleaning and restoring the building's brick fa�ade and awnings were installed that resemble the building's original awnings.
Built in 1884, the Central Block building in downtown Pierre has been home to a variety of commercial and professional interests such as grocery, pharmacy, clothing, appliance and variety stores. It also houses some of the most prominent attorneys (one of whom later became a governor and U.S. senator), real estate agencies and health care providers. Alice Baird, Pierre's first female physician, occupied the second floor throughout the 1890s.