State Historical Society announces eight more properties listed on National Register The South Dakota State Historical Society has announced that eight more properties in South Dakota have been listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The National Register, administered by the National Park Service, is the federal government's official list of historic properties worthy of preservation. The State Historic Preservation Office of the State Historical Society processes applications for the National Register.
"Listing in the National Register provides recognition and assists in preserving our state's heritage," said Jay D. Vogt, SHPO director. "It does not mean that limitations will be placed on the properties by the federal government."
Any property at least 50 years old possessing historic significance and maintaining its historic appearance and structure may qualify for the National Register, according to Vogt.
For more information, contact the State Historic Preservation Office at (605) 773-3458 or go to their Web site at www.sdhistory.org/histpres. htm.
Here is a brief description of each of the new National Register listings:
H.P. Will House
Located in Wessington Springs, the Will House was constructed in 1910 in the Queen Anne style with an asymmetrical fa�ade and full-width porch. The house was placed on a hill at a prominent site so that it would be seen from all areas of town. Will was a business owner in Wessington Springs. The house is eligible for the Register for its architectural style.
Located in the vicinity of Armour, the Jacobson School was constructed in 1926 and functioned as a school until 1967 when the rural population declined. The school is eligible for its rural schoolhouse design and for its role in education in Charles Mix County.
Located in Sioux Falls, this building was constructed in 1900 of quartzite. It is the earliest extant building associated with the Farley Loetscher Company, a lumber supplier. The building is eligible for the company's economic and business role in the city of Sioux Falls and the state of South Dakota, and for its architectural significance as an example of the Commercial style.
Located in Canton, the Anderson House was constructed in 1911 by John L. Millie, a local contractor. The house is eligible as an excellent example of the Craftsman style of architecture in South Dakota. There is also a contributing garage on the property.
This Sioux Falls district was originally nominated in 1984 for its architecture, community planning, landscape architecture and social history.
This nomination was paid for with a Certified Local Government grant to the City of Sioux Falls. The city hired a professional to revisit two historic districts to evaluate them for changes. McKennan Park was determined to have more buildings associated with it and therefore has been expanded.
The properties within the boundary increase are historically associated with the original McKennan Park neighborhood and were intentionally platted and named as an extension of the initial residential area. This area is also eligible in the area of community planning and development, and for its architectural merit.
Styles in the boundary increase include Colonial Revival, Tudor Revival, Prairie and Craftsman.
The Burlington and Quincy Highline Hill City to Keystone Branch, also known as the "1880 Train," was started in 1893 in Hill City and finished in Keystone in 1900. The nomination includes the tracks, bridges, equipment and structures associated with the line. The line is significant for the role it played in linking communities in the Black Hills and for its design, engineering and architecture of a railroad complex.
St. Lawrence O'Toole
Located in the town of Central City in Lawrence County, the vernacular style church was built in 1879. The church is significant as an example of "first generation" church construction in South Dakota.
Located in the Faith vicinity of Perkins County, these two log cabins were built in circa 1894 by Caroline and Frederick Richards. The cabins are significant for the role they played in the settlement of South Dakota and their vernacular architecture.