Saturday classes resume at museum The Friends of the W.H. Over Museum will resume Saturday morning classes Sept. 20 at 9:30 a.m. with a talk, "Changes in the River" with Jim Peterson.
Peterson had been on the river almost daily for many years. He shows people around the islands and sand bars, some of which actually existed when the Lewis and Clark Expedition made their way up the river in 1804.
They struggled against shallow water, sand bars and the like with their keel boat and perogues. Today, our area of the river is considered the last of the natural river because of the dams which have created lakes up river and the layers of rock that have stabilized the banks below Ponca area.
There is much discussion as to how "we can have our cake and eat it too," that is keep the river a natural flowing prairie stream with native, wild flora and fauna and yet maintain it stabile enough for recreation and its, shores for farming.
Come Saturday and hear what Peterson has to say.
On Saturday, Sept. 27, we will turn our attention to the skies. Chris Keating will talk about "Star Gazing." This too was an important part of the Lewis and Clark journals. As they fulfilled their job assignment 199 years ago to make observations of the river, plants, animals, weather and the people, the stars served as valuable tools in recording direction.
Today there is a renewed interest in establishing another observatory on campus, updated from the one that was removed in the late 1960s to make room for the law building.
Additional classes and workshops, sponsored by the Friend of the Museum's Education committee, chaired by Karen Mahood, will be held as the fall progresses. Call the museum, 677-5228 to get the complete schedule.