Wakonda building on National Register The South Dakota State Historical Society has announced that six more sites across the state have been added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The National Register, administered by the National Park Service, is the federal government's official list of historic properties worthy of preservation. The State Historic Preservation Office of the State Historical Society processes applications for the National Register.
"Listing in the National Register provides recognition and assists in preserving our state's heritage," said Jay D. Vogt, state historic preservation officer and director of the State Historical Society. "It does not mean that limitations will be placed on the properties by the federal government."
Any property at least 50 years old possessing historic significance and maintaining its historic appearance and structure may qualify for the National Register, according to Vogt.
Following is a summary of the newly listed National Register sites in South Dakota:
The Anderson Barn was built by Bengt Anderson in 1885 in the Hitchcock vicinity of Beadle County. It is architecturally significant as a fine example of a Midwest Feeder Barn, which is a plank frame adaptation of the Midwest Three Portal Barn. Common elements of feeder barns present in the Anderson Barn include gable entrances, huge roof, rectangular plan and large hay door.
Slip Up Creek Homestead
Located in the Garretson vicinity in Minnehaha County, this nomination is a multiple-resource district which includes the house, barn and other outbuildings. The property is eligible for the National Register for its association with settlement and exploration. Erick Bergdahl immigrated to America from Norway and in the spring of 1872 set out, along with five other men, to find new land in South Dakota. During their initial visit to South Dakota they found the area around Slip Up Creek, settled it and broke the required five acres each.
The property also embodies distinctive characteristics including the Wisconsin dairy barn and the log construction on the main house. Contributing buildings include the main house started in 1877, the Wisconsin dairy barn constructed circa 1900, the hog house and granary.
Kost Farm Barn
Located in the Olivet vicinity of Hutchinson County, the two-story Gothic Arch Barn was constructed circa 1917 and is eligible for its architectural style. Common elements found on the Gothic Arch barn include multiple windows on the long sides, a large hay door on the second floor and the distinctive roof style. The barn was originally constructed to house horses and loose hay and grain. It was also used to house dairy cows. Today the barn is used as a storage facility.
Continued on page 12
Ivan Cobel House
Located in Brookings County on Main Avenue in Brookings, this Craftsman architectural style house was constructed in 1920. Common elements found on this style that the house possesses include a low-pitched gable roof, exposed rafter ends and a full width porch supported by square posts. The Cobel House is an excellent high-style example for South Dakota.
Wakonda State Bank
Located in Wakonda in Clay County, the bank is eligible for the distinctive architectural style of Commercial. The store, constructed in 1913, is a well-preserved example of the Commercial style in a rural town setting. Very few historic buildings remain on the main road through Wakonda. One of the two remaining historic buildings is already listed, and the other is this building.
The Wakonda State Bank served as a bank until 1961 when the library took over the property.
Located in the vicinity of Rapid City in Pennington County, this nomination is a multiple-resource district which includes the house, privies, barn and other outbuildings. The land was homesteaded in 1884. The property embodies the distinctive characteristics of a type and period. The original house was destroyed by fire. The current main house was constructed on the foundation of the original house. The Queen Anne privy, adjacent to the main house, was constructed in a style that matched the first house.
Other contributing buildings on the property include a homestead house, a federal relief privy, chicken coop and barn. The property is also eligible for its association with recreation and culture in the Black Hills area. James Russell Madison Jr. established his own Rodeo Productions on the ranch due to his accomplishments with breaking horses. The ranch served as the location for the first rodeo in South Dakota. Madison also supplied stock for many of the Black Hills rodeos. During the Depression he added a dance hall to the rear of their home. He hoped that it would add revenue to the ranch. It resulted in providing great recreation for the people in the Black Hills region. The family recently received a grant from the city of Deadwood for the restoration for the QueenAnne privy.
The State Historical Society, headquartered at the South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center, is a program of the Department of Tourism and State Development. For more information on the National Register, contact the State Historic Preservation Office at (605) 773-3458 or visit the society's Web site at www.sdhistory.org.