Chamber Chat by Vermillion Area Chamber/Development Company Events
* Congratulations � Sally Stoll has received the 2003 President Award for Excellence in Science Teaching.�Stoll has been teaching in Vermillion for 14 years.�This award is the nation's highest commendation of its kind!
* VCDC 2004 Annual Banquet! � The VCDC Annual Banquet is Friday, March 26 at the Eagle's Lodge, 114 West Main Street with social starting at 6:30 p.m.�Featured speaker, Jerry Wheeler, executive director of the South Dakota Retailers Association, will be speaking on "Legislative Issues & Retail Trends."� The public is invited to join us at 9 p.m. for entertainment by the Poker Alice Band.�
* The Main Street Gallery � Tennessee native Paul Roden is honored to exhibit Visions for the Campaign Year at the inaugural opening of The Main Street Gallery. Roden's socially satirical prints will be on display through the month of April, with an opening reception Friday, April 2 from 7 to 9:30 p.m. at 2 East Main in Vermillion.
* Youth State Basketball Championship � is being held in Vermillion April 2-4. Please help us welcome them to Vermillion by putting it on your marquee signs and by welcoming them in your business.�
* Take the Challenge � Due to the weather conditions last Monday, the Community Healthy Weight Challenge program was postponed to Monday, April 5. Plan to register for this program and help us to encourage health and wellness for our community. Contact Mary Merrigan at 624-2611, ext. 461 if you have questions or check out the Web at www.siouxvalleyvermillion.org.
* Welcome Home Celebration for Co. B 109th, Vermillion Medical Unit � Be looking for more information and updates in the next few weeks!�
* United Way � The United Way of Vermillion is seeking nominations for board of director vacancies. If you are interested in becoming a member of the board or would like additional information, please contact Barb Campbell at 624-5354 prior to April 15.�
* Operation Pride � Saturday, April 24 7:30 a.m. to noon.� If anyone would like to volunteer their time and/or a pickup please contact Phyllis Packard at 677-7076. This is a great project to enhance the look of our community!
* Great Strides Program � The Sioux Valley/USD Wellness Great Strides Program is having a GREAT response. Please remember to contact Mary Merrigan if you are willing to donate a door or cash prize for the completion celebration at the end.� All those who contribute will be listed in the weekly Great Strides advertising.
* 2004 City Elections � Election time is coming up. Get involved � get out and vote! If you are not a registered voter you can register at the Clay County Courthouse.�
* Upcoming meetings for the week of March 28:
Wednesday, March 31, ����������������������������������� United Way Annual Meeting������������������� 6:30 p.m. at Buffalo Run Winery.
Thursday, April 1,������������������������������������������� TSP Committee Meeting�������������������������� 4 p.m. at VCDC office.
* Retail Development & Promotions
Business Success Workshops � The University of Sioux Falls Center for Women Business Institute and Augustana College, in partnership with DIAL Learning Communities, is offering free workshops that are designed to assist rural business owners in obtaining business success.�� Thursday Nights from 6:30 to 9 p.m. at The University of South Dakota, School of Education, Room 110.�
March 25 "Operations and Administration"
April 1 "Technology and Communication"
April 8 & 15 "Marketing"�������������������������������� ��� ��� ��� ��� April 22 "Money (Accounting and Loans)"
April 29 "Customer Service"
Participants can pre-register to Bernard Schramm at 1-866-556-1778
* 2004 New Membership � Thank you to those who have become new 2004 members this week: James Steel Erection.�A special thank you to all of the 2003 members who have renewed for 2004 and to all of our new members for 2004! We truly appreciate all of your support!
If you would like more information on how to become a member of the Vermillion Chamber of Commerce & Development Company please stop in to meet with us at 906 East Cherry Street or call 624-5571.�