New homeowners should file

New homeowners should file Individuals living in different homes or new homes should file by Monday, March 15, for the owner-occupied, single family dwelling certificate making them eligible for a property tax reduction.

"I want to make sure everyone who is eligible gets his or her property taxes reduced," Gov. Rounds said.

Any South Dakota homeowner who owned and occupied a home on Nov. 1, 2003, is eligible for this classification and his or her property tax reduction. Taxpayers who have received the reductions previously and still own and occupy the same homes will continue to receive the property tax reduction, without filing a new certificate. They do not need to file again.

The 2004 valuation notices taxpayers have received since March 1, 2004, will indicate whether a property is classified as owner-occupied, and homeowners are advised to check these notices.

Taxpayers who have purchased a home, have built a new home prior to Nov. 1, 2003, or have not applied for the classification, must apply to the County Director of Equalization by March 15, 2004.

If you need a form or have any questions regarding the owner-occupied certificate, contact the County Director of Equalization in your county or the Property and Special Taxes Division of the South Dakota Department of Revenue in Pierre at (605) 773-3139.

Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>