4-H committee adjusts presence at state fair South Dakota 4-H will schedule its events at the 2004 South Dakota State Fair from Friday, Sept. 3, through Tuesday, Sept. 7.
Karla Trautman, the South Dakota Cooperative Extension Service's program leader for youth development/4-H, said there will be no 4-H events after Tuesday of fair week so that 4-H members will miss as little school as possible. Monday, Sept. 6, is Labor Day so the only day on which 4-H members may have possible conflicts with local school schedules is Sept. 7.
"Our primary concern in working with the new state fair dates is to be supportive of South Dakota State Fair, and yet to also be supportive of our 4-H youth and their families," Trautman said. "Consolidating our efforts over the Labor Day weekend time period will allow youth and their families to participate in state fair and the South Dakota 4-H program with the least amount of conflict with school events as possible."
A committee made up youth, parents, volunteers, and Extension 4-H staff drew up the 4-H schedule for the 2004 state fair, Trautman said.
"We feel that what we've come up with will be a workable solution, but youths will have to make choices about what they participate in," Trautman said.
Though locations are still being finalized, here's a glance at the days on which some of the key 4-H events take place:
* Friday, Sept. 3: Judging of static exhibits takes place. Early penning/stalling of livestock.
* Saturday, Sept. 4: Special Foods event runs all day. Photography open judging event takes place in the forenoon, visual arts judging in the afternoon. Livestock entry weigh-in and check-in also is Saturday. The 4-H Leaders Association barbecue and the first performance of 4-H youth involved in the Performing Arts program is in the evening.
* Sunday, Sept. 5: Market and breeding swine, market beef and dog shows take place. Performing Arts troupe performs in the evening.
* Monday, Sept. 6: Fashion Revue, market sheep, dairy, poultry, rabbit, and cat shows take place.
* Tuesday, Sept. 7: Breeding sheep and breeding beef shows. Release of all 4-H exhibits.