Area chip sealing to begin The South Dakota Department of Transportation has contracted with Sta-Bilt Construction Co. of Harlan, IA to place an asphalt surface treatment on numerous roads in the area.
The surface treatment consists on an application of oil that is covered with rock chips. This type of road treatment may cause flying rock chips, and fresh oil may be present on the road surface.
Motorists need to use caution in these work zones, and adhere to the posted advisory speed limits. Flaggers and pilot cars will be directing motorists through the work.
The contractor's tentative schedule of placing the chips seals is:
* July 12 � 13 SD 37 Springfield west 7 miles;
* July 14 � 20 SD 25 from SD 50 through Scotland to US 18;
* July 21 � 23 SD 46 from the Menno Road to US 81;
* July 26 � 28 SD 46 from Irene to the Centerville corner;
* July 29 � 30 SD 19 from SD 50 west Vermillion to the Nebraska state line;
* July 31 � Aug. 4 I-29 shoulders and Crossroads from the Iowa line to Exit 4.
This schedule is subject to change with any weather delays or breakdowns. Motorists are encouraged to use alternate routes whenever possible as they encounter this work, or use caution and reduced speed if they must travel through the work.