Chamber Chat by the Vermillion Area Chamber/Development Company Events
* 21st Annual National Night Out � Tuesday, Aug. 3 from 5 to 9 p.m. at Prentis Park. This is a night when communities around the nation can band together against crime and drug abuse. This year, over 10,000 communities from all 50 states, U.S. territories, Canadian cities and military bases around the world are expected to participate. Free activities for all ages, swimming, prizes and food. Please join the nation in giving crime and drugs a going away party.
* Clay County Fair � Aug. 12-14. Don't miss any of the exciting events at the fair. Open Class Exhibits, Talent Show, Demolition Derby, and Tractor Pull. To register, please pick up an entry form at Hy-Vee Food Store, Sturdevants, Rasmussen Motors, or call the Clay County Fair Office at 677-7111.
* VCDC Golf Social � Tuesday, Aug. 17 at The Bluffs Golf Course. Please return registration form no later than Aug. 6.
* 2004 S.D. MS 150 "All American Ride" � Starts in Sioux Falls at 7 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 7, ending in Vermillion Sunday, Aug. 8. Open to riders of all ages, the MS150 Bike Tour takes cyclists on a scenic journey through the back roads of the Dakotas. For more information contact 605-336-7017.
* Leadership Vermillion 2005 � Leadership Vermillion is a nine-month leadership development program sponsored by the VCDC and the USD Farber Center for Civic Leadership. We are currently seeking nominations for participants for the upcoming fall class. If you know of someone interested in this opportunity, please forward the nomination to: Leadership Vermillion 2005, Dakota Hall, 414 East Clark Street, Vermillion; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org; or call us at 624-5571. We are also seeking financial sponsors for the program. If you are interested in contributing, please call 624-5571 for more information.
* USD Camps Are Making An Impact � Special thanks to USD Athletic Director Joel Nielsen, Coach Dave Boots, Coach Chad Lavin, and Coach Ed Meierkort who have already completed or are in the process of completing athletic camps this summer that bring many visitors to our community. We appreciate your efforts and we see the economic impacts and benefits! For a complete listing of all camps and conferences scheduled this summer at USD, please call us 624-5571 and we'll send you a schedule.
* Visit Vermillion Blitz was held on Thursday at the I-29 Vermillion exit. We hosted visitors from New York, Texas, Washington, Wyoming, Missouri, and various other states. We successfully encouraged over 30 tourists to make the six-mile drive into Vermillion to take advantage of merchant coupons and tourist attractions.
* Southeast S.D. Tourism Board � Congratulations to Heidi who has been elected to serve on the Southeast South Dakota Tourism Board. She will do a great job representing our community and the region.
* Heritage Ride/Run/Walk 2004 � Big Friends-Little Friends is in its seventh year of sponsoring a bike ride to raise funds for the Youth Mentoring Program on Saturday, Aug. 21, beginning at 7 a.m. in Elk Point and riding to Vermillion. To register please stop by our office to pick up a registration form or call John Gille at 356-2571.
Upcoming meetings for the week of Aug. 1
* Tuesday, Aug. 3, Growing Vermillion Meeting 7:15 a.m. at the Buffalo Run Winery.
* Wednesday, Aug. 4, Merchant Meeting, 6 p.m. at Little Italy's.