Chamber Chat by Vermillion Area Chamber/Development Company Events
* Clay County Fair � Aug. 12-14. Don't miss any of the exciting events at the fair. Open Class Exhibits, Talent, Demolition Derby, and Tractor Pull. To register please pick up an entry form at Hy-Vee Food Store, Sturdevants, Rasmussen Motors, or call the Clay County Fair Office at 677-7111.
* Discovery Movement Theatre presents Thumbelina Sunday, Aug. 15 at 2 p.m. and Monday, Aug. 16 at 7 p.m. at the Vermillion High School Theatre. For more information please contact 624-6718.
* VCDC Golf Social � Tuesday, Aug. 17 at The Bluffs Golf Course. Team registration starts at noon with a shotgun start at 2 p.m. For more information contact 624-5571.
* Senior Center Annual Rummage Sales � Stop by for treats and treasures Saturday, Aug. 21, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Senior Center, 320 West Main Street. The Center will be accepting donations Monday through Friday prior to the sale. For more information, please contact 624-8072.
* Heritage Ride/Run/Walk 2004 � Big Friends/Little Friends is in its seventh year of sponsoring a bike ride to raise funds for the Youth Mentoring Program on Saturday, Aug. 21 beginning at 7 a.m. in Elk Point and riding to Vermillion. To register please stop by our office to pick up a registration form or call John Gille at 356-2571.
* Teacher Appreciation Breakfast � The merchant committee is serving breakfast to the Vermillion teachers at their in-service on Tuesday, Aug. 24. We are assembling goodie bags for them to show them our appreciation for everything they do during the school year. If you have items that you would like to include in the bags please drop them off at our office no later than Aug. 18. For more information contact 624-5571.
* Celebrate the Lewis and Clark Bicentennial � Aug. 25. Lewis and Clark 200th Anniversary event will be held at Spirit Mound. If raining, talks and crafts will take place at the W. H. Over Museum. Aug. 28-29, Lewis and Clark Festival at W. H. Over Museum. Crafts, food, hike to Spirit Mound, Pow wow, music and stories. For more information, contact 677-5228.
* Great Dakota Wine Festival � Saturday, Sept. 11 and Sunday, Sept. 12. Live music, bicycle race, food, golf, canoe trips, tours, car show, 10K race, USD football, wine stomp, wine tasting and many other events throughout community. Enjoy a world of fun in one weekend. For more information contact the VCDC office at 624-5571 or www.vermillonchamber.com.
* Attention Merchants! � We are encouraging all merchants to remain open on Sunday, Sept. 12 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. for the Great Dakota Wine Festival. We are expecting thousands of people to come to Vermillion for the weekend, and this would be a great opportunity to showcase your business. We are also encouraging merchants to provide a discount to all attendees of the festival who will be wearing a wristband for the weekend.
* Coyote Bash � Monday, Aug. 30, noon to 2 p.m. An opportunity to welcome new USD students to downtown Vermillion! Weather permitting, merchants will have sidewalk sales. For more information contact 624-5571.
Upcoming meetings for the week of Aug. 15:
Monday, Aug 16 � United Way Meeting, noon at the VCDC office.
Thursday, Aug 19 � VCDC Executive Board Meeting, noon at the VCDC office.