Chamber Chat by the Vermillion Area Chamber/Development Company Events
* The Vermillion Area Arts Council announces an exhibit, "Mastering Photography," in honor of the 80th birthday of master photographer Elizabeth Groom. The exhibit, along with a wine and cheese reception, will be open to the public from 5 to 7 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 5 at the Washington Street Art Center, 202 Washington Street.
Groom is the grand dame of photography in her home state of Oklahoma and has received many awards in her long career. The exhibit will feature nature and scenic work from her world travels. She is the mother of architect Sandy Dickenson and a frequent visitor to Vermillion.
* Clay County Fair � Aug. 12-14. Don't miss any of the exciting events at the fair. Open Class Exhibits, Talent, Demolition Derby, and Tractor Pull. To register please pick up an entry form at Hy-Vee Food Store, Sturdevants, Rasmussen Motors, or call the Clay County Fair Office at 677-7111.
* Discovery Movement Theatre presents Thumbelina on Sunday, Aug. 15 at 2 p.m. and Monday, Aug. 16 at 7 p.m. at the Vermillion High School Theatre. For more information contact 624-6718.
* VCDC Golf Social � Tuesday, Aug. 17 at The Bluffs Golf Course. Please return registration form no later then Aug. 6. Mark your calendar for this great event!!
* 2004 SD MS 150 "All American Ride" starts in Sioux Falls at 7 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 7 ending in Vermillion Sunday, Aug. 8. Open to riders of all ages, the MS150 Bike Tour takes cyclists on a scenic journey through the back roads of the Dakotas.
For more information contact 605-336-7017.
* Senior Center Annual Rummage Sales � Stop by for treats and treasures Saturday, Aug. 21 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Senior Center, 320 West Main Street. The center will be excepting donations Monday through Friday prior to the sale. For more information contact 624-8072.
* Leadership Vermillion 2005 � Leadership Vermillion is a nine-month leadership development program sponsored by the VCDC and the USD Farber Center for Civic Leadership. We are currently seeking nominations for participants for the upcoming fall class. If you know of someone interested in this opportunity, please forward the nomination to: Leadership Vermillion 2005, Dakota Hall, 414 East Clark Street, Vermillion; email email@example.com; or call us at 624-5571. We are also seeking financial sponsors for the program. If you are interested in contributing, please call 624-5571 for more information.
* Heritage Ride/Run/Walk 2004 � Big Friends-Little Friends is in its seventh year of sponsoring a bike ride to raise funds for the youth mentoring program on Saturday, Aug. 21 beginning at 7 a.m. in Elk Point and riding to Vermillion. To register please stop by our office to pick up a registration form or call John Gille at 356-2571.
* Fun Daze � Our thanks go out to everyone who helped make Fun Daze a magnificent event! We have heard many wonderful compliments about all of the activities that were going on and we hope to continue to grow in the years to come. Thanks again, we couldn't have done it with out your support and help.
* Mayor Dan Christopherson and City Manager Jim Patrick are hosting their regularly scheduled, second Monday of the month, listening appointments on Monday Aug. 9. Citizens should call Joanne Tolsma at 677-7050 to schedule appointments with either Dan or Jim between 4 and 6 p.m. next Monday. Both men are willing to meet with citizens any other time as well, but the second Monday is specifically set as a time to visit with residents about any topic of concern or interest.
* Monday, Aug. 9 � Planning Commission Meeting, 7 p.m. at city hall.