Obituaries Margaret Holt

Margaret Marie Holt, age 75, died Tuesday, Oct. 19, 2004 at her home in Yankton.

A memorial lunch was held 12:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 22 at JoDean's Steak House & Lounge in Yankton. Inurnment was at 12 p.m. Friday at the Garden of Memories Cemetery, Yankton. No formal services are planned at the cemetery. Memorials may be directed to the Yankton Library, 515 Walnut Street, Yankton, SD 57078.

She is survived by her two daughters, Carol Kowalski of Chicago, IL and Nancy (Russ) Coffey of Oskaloosa, IA; five grandchildren, Lauren Kowalski (Jeff) Marks of Mt. Prospect, IL, Melissa Kowalski of Mt. Prospect, IL, Deanna Kowalski of Des Plaines, IL, Sheila Van Sickle of Denton, TX, and Bryan Van Sickle of Cedar Rapids, IA; and one great- grandchild, Lillian Van Sickle Scruggs of Denton, TX.

She was born Sept. 11, 1929, on a farm in Seward County near Bee, NE, to Emil J. and Lillian L. (Moravec) Krenk. Her father was an auctioneer in partnership with his father, John L. Krenk, and her mother was a homemaker. She started first grade in a one-room country schoolhouse speaking fluent Czech and had to learn English.

The Krenk family moved off the farm to Ulysses where she attended school from the third to the eighth grade. In 1942, her family moved to Fremont, NE, because her father was offered a job as an auctioneer with the Taylor & Martin Commission (sale barn) in Fremont. She went to high school in Fremont, excelled in her studies, and wrote the local Rotary newsletter. She learned to play the accordion when she was seven years old, and in Fremont, she continued her music learning to play the harmonica, the piano, and marched in the band playing the drums.

She took business classes at Midland College. Her high-school friend, Frank, and Arthur Holt were in the Army together during WWII. She wrote letters to him during the four years he was in the Army and when Art returned home they were married on Jan. 20, 1946. They moved to Wakonda, and lived on the farm until 1969.

Mrs. Holt was a city girl and first experiences as a farmer's wife were typical. She did not know how to milk a cow, chase pigs or pick eggs. She typically hauled grain and corn for her husband, took her two daughters to swimming lessons, was a member of the American Legion Auxiliary, the PTA, and the St. Patrick Church circle group in Wakonda. Their farmhouse became the bed and breakfast for any traveling relatives and everyone was welcome to stay.

In 1958, she was elected Riverside Township assessor and held this job for three years. She worked part-time at Glidden's Grocery in Wakonda. In 1965, when a fire destroyed the grocery store, she applied at the Yankton State Hospital and was hired as a direct patient care psychiatric aide. She was a good employee at first, being sure to follow all the directions, but then she began to start trouble, because she insisted that patients, even if they were emotionally disturbed, should still receive good care.

She moved to a medical floor and became a re-motivation instructor. The re-motivation department was responsible to schedule meetings with 10-12 patients in therapy groups. About this same time, nursing homes were beginning to become known in the area and the re-motivation department was a primary resource for nursing home staff to learn about geriatrics care.

Staff from the Good Samaritan homes throughout the local area would come for a "course" at the Human Services Center. Mrs. Holt developed the curriculum and taught the course with the objective that employees of nursing homes were responsible for their patients' activities. She developed "how to work with emotionally ill, geriatric and acute care patients" educational workshops for state employees and other people working in the mental health field.

In 1971, South Dakota was informed that Nebraska would not accept South Dakota felons, so South Dakota had to arrange for a place to house female felons. The correctional system in South Dakota remodeled a building at the Human Services Center to house 30 felons, and Mrs. Holt was appointed as the administrative assistant to run the first women's prison in South Dakota.

She was responsible for developing many different rehabilitation programs, worked with many businesses and citizens from the community to provide felons with a high school education. The ministerial association was contacted to help with the "Ms. to Ms." felon program, the list of responsibilities and programs that she began are endless.

In 1977, Mrs. Holt was hired by the geriatric psychiatric ward to hire, schedule, and manage the payroll for state employees. While working full time, she attended USD- Springfield and received an associate's degree and in September 1991, she retired after 27 years of service.

As a professional, she was involved, dependable, fair and honest. As a wife, married for almost 45 years, she was very much in love with her husband. As a woman, mother, friend, and neighbor she was a constant in our lives.

She was a registered Republican but would always vote for the person who would do the best job. She loved to travel, was our family historian, remembering all the birthdays, anniversary dates, dates of important events, and faithfully wrote over 200 Christmas cards each year with a "newsy letter." She saved articles from the Yankton P&D, went every year to Riverboat Days and plays at the playhouse, collected cookbooks, and read avidly every day. She was a remarkable woman, and we will all miss her.

John Wilkinson

John C. Wilkinson, 63, of Oakdale, NE, formerly of Sioux City, IA, died Wednesday, Oct. 20, 2004, at Faith Regional Health Services in Norfolk, NE.

Memorial services were 11 a.m. Oct. 23 at St. Francis Catholic Church in Neligh, NE, with the Rev. Steve Emanuel officiating. Private graveside services will be held at a later date. Arrangements were under the direction of Beyer Funeral Home in Neligh.

Mr. Wilkinson was born Dec. 12, 1940, in Oakdale, NE, to Harry and Betty (Weeder) Wilkinson. He later moved to Vermillion, where he graduated from high school. He served in the U.S. Army from December 1963 to December 1965, including service in Vietnam.

He married Nancy Kempton on Dec. 17, 1966, in Vermillion. He worked as a loan officer in Iowa, Kansas and Washington. He also worked at Silo Press Manufacturing Company in Sioux City before moving to Astoria, OR. Later, he started driving a truck over the road and most recently he was working at Broken Arrow Farms near Elgin, NE.

He is survived by his wife, Nancy; a son and his wife, John C. "Max" and Erica Wilkinson Jr. of Charleston, WV; a daughter and her husband, Laurie Wilkinson-Gaffney and Tom Gaffney of Santa Maria, CA; three brothers, Robert and Tom, both of Oakdale, NE, and Mark of Casper, WY; and five sisters, Kay Crosier of Oakdale, NE, Barb Marsh of Brunswick, NE, Harriett Smith of Hastings, NE, Cheri Wood of Sergeant Bluff and Betty Beulter of Arvada, CO.

He was preceded in death by his parents.

Archie Teigen

Archie E. Teigen, age 68, died Sunday Oct. 24 at Sioux Valley Vermillion Hospital. Funeral services were held 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 27, at United Church of Christ � Congregational, Vermillion. Visitation was from 5 to 8 p.m. on Tuesday at the church with the family present from 7 to 8 p.m. Burial was in Bluff View Cemetery. A prayer service was held at 8 p.m. at the church. Iverson-Siecke Funeral Home, Vermillion, was in charge of arrangements.

Mr. Teigen was born March 20, 1936 in Detroit Lakes, MN, to Adeline (Jensen) and Archie Teigen Sr. He graduated from Brainerd, MN High School after which he served with the U.S. Marines in the Korean Conflict. He received his master's degree in business health administration from the University of Minnesota.

He was married to Sharon Maxe on Sept. 27, 1958 in Brainerd, MN. They moved to Vermillion in 1974 where he took the position of finance officer at the USD School of Medicine until 1968 when he worked for Federal Express until retirement.

Mr. Teigen enjoyed and loved spending time with family and friends, especially his grandchildren. He enjoyed attending the Vermillion High School Tanager sporting events. He will be remembered for his love for music. He was a member of the United Church of Christ � Congregational where he was a diaconate member.

Grateful for sharing his life are, his wife, Sharon, his children, Rick (Sandy) Teigen, Vermillion, Sheree (John) Schwartz, Watertown, Randy (LeAnn) Teigen, Hannibal, MO, Susan (Jason) Huska, Vermillion, Rob (Theresa Flicek) Teigen, Vermillion; and grandchildren Matthew, Chad and Christopher Teigen, McKenzie, Jayce and Keely Huska, Christina Schwartz, and Marcus and Tanner Teigen.

He is also survived by two brothers, Merlyn and Connie Teigen, Peculiar, MO, and James, Minneapolis, MN, and a sister, Ardella and Don Woodward, Hastings, MN.

He was preceded in death by his parents and infant son, Allen Eugene Teigen.

Alfred Anderson

Our beloved Dad, Grandpa, and Great Grandpa (Big Pa Pa and G'G'Daddy), Alfred Anderson, 97 years young in spirit and soul, but tired in body, left Clarkson Mt. View Guest Home and woke up in heaven the morning of Sunday, Oct. 24, 2004. His wife Marie (Young), daughter Marlys Seiner, parents Martin and Suzanna Anderson, four brothers, three sisters, and one grand daughter-in-law welcomed him at heaven's door with open arms.

Mr. Anderson was born in Walback, NE, on Feb. 28, 1907. He came to South Dakota in 1920 and married Marie Young on Dec. 18, 1929. They had two daughters Marlys Ann and Joyce Kay. He farmed near Gayville, until 1947 and then moved to the Westerville area near Vermillion, until retirement.

They built a house in 1977 in Gayville and lived their retirement years there until 1993 when they moved to Rapid City to be near their daughter, Joyce. He is a member of the Pleasant Valley Church in rural Vermillion. He so loved fishing and camping with many memories of this with his good neighbors in Westerville.

They enjoyed his longed-for retirement trip to Denmark to visit and learn of family on his mother's side. He shared many stories with our family, as most important to him was his love and time with his family.

Many hearts are filled with sadness as Mr. Anderson leaves behind his daughter and son-in-law, Joyce and Roger Opp of Rapid City; son-in-law, Clarence Seiner of California; one sister, Helen Hague of Arizona; five grandchildren, Cheryl (Mike) Braham, Douglas Seiner, Kevin (Jerri) Opp, Mike (Susan) Opp, and Kim (Dennis) Koster; and 11 great- grandchildren, two step great- grandchildren, and one great- great-grandchild. He was one amazing man, and will live in our hearts forever!

Mr. Anderson was laid to rest next to his wife at Pleasant Valley Cemetery after services at Pleasant Valley Lutheran Church, rural Vermillion, at 11 a.m. on Friday, Oct. 29. Visitation was one hour before the services. Friends may sign Alfred's guestbook at

Kirk Funeral Home of Rapid City, and Wass Home for Funerals of Beresford, are in charge of the arrangements.

Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>