Chamber Chat By the Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce/Development Company
* Financial Fitness � Learn how to maximize your hard-earned dollar in this comprehensive seminar. Topics include setting financial goals, creating workable spending plans and identifying affordable levels of debt. 9 to 11 a.m., Saturday, Jan. 22, Trinity Lutheran Church. Call 1-888-258-2227 to register. Facilitated by Carol Voss-Ward of Consumer Credit Counseling Service.
* Cracker Barrel Session � The Vermillion Chamber & Development Company is hosting a Cracker Barrel session with our legislators on Saturday, Jan. 29 from 9 a.m. to noon at the Vermillion Fire/EMS Station at 820 North Dakota Street. This is an opportunity for the public to share their thoughts and get updates on the 2005 legislative session from District 17 legislators Rep. Donna Schafer, Rep. Jamie Boomgarden, and Sen. Ben Nesselhuf.
Representatives from Delta Kappa Gamma will be providing refreshments. Please join us for this informative event.
* 2005 Vermillion Area Family Business of the Year Award � The South Dakota Family Business Initiative is proud to begin an annual tradition in the community with the presentation of the Family Business of the Year Award during the VCDC annual banquet. This award will recognize the accomplishments of a family business and its contributions to the community and the surrounding region: it includes the counties of Clay, Turner, Union, and neighboring Nebraska counties.
In short essay format, family business owners can explain why they would like their business honored with the 2005 Vermillion Area Family Business of the Year Award. Applications may be obtained via the Initiative's Web site at www.usd.edu/
fambus or by calling 605-677-3157.
* Vermillion Jaycees � The Vermillion Jaycees are looking for leaders to join. If you are interested or would like more information on the Vermillion Jaycees please contact Tammy Davis at 624-4135 or Dawn Rice at 605-335-4363.
* VCDC 2005 Annual Banquet! � Friday, Feb. 18 at the Eagles, 114 West Main Street. Look for your invitation in the mail this week.
* Important Deadline � VCDC Membership � If you would like to be included in the 2005 Welcome to Vermillion Community Guide Book, final deadline is Jan 14. Please contact our office at 624-5571.
* 2005 New Membership � Thank you to those who have become new 2005 members. Looking Glass, Chalky's, Masaba Inc, TRL Inc, Masterworks, Brunick Service, Home Towne Inn, Main Street Books, Market Street Caf�, Merrigan's Farm, Tan World, Kirstina Bottolfson and Zibeon Samudi Cleaning Service. A special thank you to all of 2004 members that have renewed for 2005! If you would like more information on how to become a member of the Vermillion Chamber of Commerce & Development Company please stop in to meet with us at 906 East Cherry Street or call 624-5571. We truly appreciate your continued support!
* Attention Organizations � The VCDC office is currently updating our clubs and organizations lists for our 2005 Community Guide book. Please contact our office at 624-5571 if you would like your organizations to be added.
* Attention Businesses � Winter break is over and students are returning to campus, many with empty pockets! Traffic has increased at the USD Career Development Center with students looking for part time work. If you have a part time job opening, please let the USD Career Development Center know so that they can keep the students informed about employment opportunities in Vermillion.
Not only will they post jobs on their part-time job bulletin board and on their website, but they will personally let the students know that you have openings in your organization. Call or e-mail the Career Development Center with your information at 605-677-5307 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The VCDC office will be closed Jan. 17.