Chamber Chat By the Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce/Development Company
* VCDC 2005 Annual Banquet! � Friday, Feb. 18 at the Eagles � 114 West Main Street.
* National Music Museum Brown Bag Lunch Presents "Masterpieces for Strings" featuring Euclid String Quartet, Friday, Feb. 11, noon to 12:55 p.m. at the National Music Museum on the corner of Clark and Yale Streets on the USD campus. Free and open to the public! For more information contact the National Music Museum at 677-5306.
* W.H. Over Museum, free Saturday class � Saturday, Feb. 5, 9:30 to 11 a.m. at the W.H. Over Museum. The W.H Over invites you to "Language Changes from Lewis & Clark's Day" with Professor Susan Wolfe. Free to public. For more information contact Dorothy Neuhaus at 677-5228.
* USD/Vermillion Day at the Legislature is on Feb. 8 in Pierre. This is a great opportunity for people to observe the legislative process in action and to network with others from the community and the state. If you would like more information please contact our office at 624-5571.
* 2005 Vermillion Area Family Business of the Year Award � The South Dakota Family Business Initiative is proud to continue an annual tradition in the community with the presentation of the Family Business of the Year Award during the VCDC annual banquet. This award will recognize the accomplishments of a family business and its contributions to the community and the surrounding region.
It includes the counties of Clay, Turner, Union, and neighboring Nebraska counties. In short essay format, family business owners can explain why they would like their business honored with the 2005 Vermillion Area Family Business of the Year Award. Applications may be obtained via the Initiative's Web site at www.usd.edu/fam bus or by calling 605-677-3157. Deadline for submitting an application is Wednesday, Feb. 9.
* 2005 New Membership � Thank you to those who have become new 2005 members this week: Chae's, Mona Lisi, and Christina Driver. A special thank you to all of 2004 members that have renewed for 2005! If you would like more information on how to become a member, please stop in to meet with us at 906 East Cherry Street or call 624-5571. We truly appreciate your continued support!
* Downtown Streetscape Project � A special fund has been established through the city of Vermillion's Finance Office to accept donations from organizations, businesses, institutions, and individuals to assist in funding downtown streetscape features. The first donation has been received and requests for additional donations are being made at this time.
If you are interested in making a contribution, please make checks payable to: City of Vermillion � Downtown Streetscape Project. Your support and contributions to enhance our community are appreciated.
* Vermillion Jaycees � Members of the Vermillion Jaycees would like to encourage area businesses and employees to become a part of their organization! They are looking for some energetic individuals who are committed to the Vermillion community and interested in making a difference!
For more information, please contact Jody Harnois at 624-4513.
* Made in South Dakota � South Dakota Department of Tourism has launched a new program called Made in South Dakota. This is an e-commerce program to help showcase and sell products made in South Dakota. There are currently 41 active vendors on the Web site and they are working hard to expand that number.
Check out the Web site at www.madeinsouthdakota.com for unique items that only can be found on this site. If you have a unique item that you would like to showcase on this site or know of someone who does please call our office at 624-5571 for more information.
* Tourism's Online Package co-op � Again this year, S.D. Tourism is asking partners to participate in Tourism's Online Package co-op. The idea is to team up with another industry business to put together an attractive vacation package that includes lodging, at least one activity, a price, a title and availability dates.
Packages will need to be listed on TravelSD.com by March 1. The cost to participate in this program is only $35. Please take advantage of this opportunity and get your package listed today.
For more information please call Melissa Bump at (605) 773-3301, e-mail email@example.com or visit the Web site at TravelSD.com.
* The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) is returning to Vermillion this year due to the efforts of USD law student volunteers. The program offers free federal income tax preparation and e-filing to low-income, elderly, and non-English speaking taxpayers.
VITA services will be offered at the Vermillion Public Library Monday and Thursday evenings from 6 to 8 p.m. starting Feb. 14 and continuing through April 14. Those interested in receiving this free assistance are asked to bring their W-2 and 1099 forms along with their last year's tax return and any other pertinent tax information.
Both walk-ins and appointments are accepted. For more information or to make an appointment, contact Dylan Wilde at 670-5294 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Upcoming meetings for the week of Feb. 6: Monday, Feb. 6, United Way meeting, noon at the VCDC office.
* 2004 Board of Directors: President John Storm, 624-1016; Vice President Craig Thompson 624-2097; Treasurer Cindy Johnson Brown, 624-2020; Secretary Mary Vlasman, 624-7104; Past President Dave Lorenz, 677-5331; Gene Lunn, 670-7824; Dave Hertz, 624-4661; Kurt Kuiper, 624-5574; Jenny French, 624-5574; Mike Carlson, 677-7050; Farron Pratt, 624-5555; Nikki Peters, 624-2624; Dan Christopherson, 670-2114; Roger Kozak, 624-3540.