Chamber Chat By the Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce/Development Company
* Achievement Award � Vermillion was presented with an Achievement Award for efforts on the business incubator project at the State Economic Development Conference in Pierre this week. The award was sponsored by utility companies in the state and included a cash award for the VCDC. Congratulations to Vermillion, and thank you to everyone involved for their help with the project and for getting Vermillion recognized with this honor!
* W.H. Over Museum � Free Saturday Classes � April 16, 23, and 30, 8:30 a.m. at the W.H. Over Museum. The W.H. Over invites you to "Beginning Knitting" with Leanne Schaefbauer. Free to the public. For more information contact Dorothy Neuhaus at 677-5228.
* National Music Museum Brown Bag Lunch Presents "Polkas for the National Music Museum" � featuring John F. Check, John D. Check, Deborah Check Reeves, and friends from the USD Department of Music, Friday, April 15, noon to 12:55 p.m. at the National Music Museum on the corner of Clark and Yale Streets on the campus of USD. Free and open to the public! For more information contact the National Music Museum at 677-5306.
* W.H. Over Museum Bow Creek Clean-up � Saturday, April 16, 8:30 a.m. at the W.H. Over Museum parking lot. Specialists from the Missouri National Recreational River Office will provide historical and cultural background of this recent purchase. For more information contact Dorothy Neuhaus at 677-5228.
* W.H. Over Museum – Free Saturday Class � Saturday, April 16, 9:30 to 11 a.m. at the W.H. Over Museum. The W. H. Over invites you to "The Physics of Kite Flying" with Dr. Tina Keller. Free to the public. For more information contact Dorothy Neuhaus at 677-5228.
* W.H. Over Museum � Free Saturday Class � Saturday, April 16, 9:30 to 11 a.m. at the W.H. Over Museum. The W. H Over invites you to "Kite Making" with Barbara Gauger. Free to the public. For more information contact Dorothy Neuhaus at 677-5228.
* Spring Bridal Show Spectacular � The public is cordially invited to attend a Spring Bridal Show Sunday, April 17, 1 to 5 p.m. at Valiant Vineyards Winery. The cost is $3 a ticket at the door and vendor booths are still available. For more information or to reserve your space call Kathy Crisp at 605-376-0309.
* Capital for a Day Dress Rehearsal � Monday, April 18, 4 p.m. at the Vermillion High School East Commons.
* Vermillion Capital for a Day � Events will be held on Wednesday, April 20 at the Vermillion High School, 1001 East Main Street. The public is encouraged to attend and to wear RED.
* 3 p.m. � Opening Ceremony, VHS Commons (east side of the building).
* 3 to 6 p.m. � Gov. Rounds and 18 state agencies available to the public, VHS Commons.
* 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. � Reach Out & Read Event with First Lady Jean Rounds for children, VHS Library.
* 5 to 6:30 p.m. � Community Meal with Gov. Rounds and state officials � VHS Gymnasium Tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for children/students and need to be purchased in advance at City Hall, VCDC Office, Nook 'n Cranny, Cherry Street Grille, Hy-Vee, or Jones' Food Center.
* 6:30 p.m. � Gov. Rounds will address the community in the VHS Performing Arts Auditorium.
* 7:30 p.m. � Closing ceremony and performance by VHS Rhythm in Red.
* Help us Welcome Capital for the Day � We are asking businesses who have marquee signs to help us welcome Capital for the Day and we're encouraging everyone to proudly display your American flags that day.
* Open House & Ribbon Cutting Ceremony � The public is cordially invited to attend a Chamber of Commerce & Development Company Open House & Ribbon Cutting for Heartland Home Care, Thursday, April 21, 3 to 4:30 p.m. at 18 East Main Street. Ribbon cutting ceremony starts at 3:30 p.m.
* Vermillion Senior Citizen Center Fund Raising Dinner � Thursday, April 28, 5:30 p.m. at the Senior Center, 320 W. Main Street. Dinner is sponsored by St. Agnes. For tickets or more information contact 624-8072.
* Summer Fast Track Program � The Vermillion Chamber of Commerce & Development Company in collaboration with The University of South Dakota is busy planning for the upcoming school year. The admissions office at USD is asking for items/coupons from local businesses to welcome the NEW incoming students to Vermillion. If you are interested in putting a coupon or item from your business in the fast track bags that go to the students please have the items to our office no later than Friday, April 29 and we will get them included. We are asking for approximately 1,200 of each item for the bags. This is a great way to showcase your business and let the students at The University of South Dakota know what our community has to offer. If you have any questions please call our office at 624-5571.
* Fireworks Unlimited Commercial Firework Show � Saturday, April 30 starting shortly after dark on the east side of Fireworks Unlimited located on Highway 50. For safety do not park on the highway to view show. For more information contact Tom Taylor at 624-9105.
* SESD literature Swap & Customer Service Training � Tuesday, May 3 at the Sioux Falls Convention Center. Adding Passion to Purpose is a hands-on event that will rejuvenate your spirit, inspire your mind and give you skills to make every day more effective and more fun. Along with the customer service training the information center representatives will be there to accept brochures and community information. To register or for more information contact 624-5571.
* Attic Treasures Sale � Friday, May 6 and Saturday, May 7 at the Austin Whittemore House. Looking for a unique treasure? This is a great opportunity to meet people and hunt for that incredible treasure you have been searching for. If you have an item you would like to donate or would like more information contact 624-8266.
* Sponsors Needed for SOP Program � Southeast Job Link will be conducting the Summer Opportunities Program in June. This program is for high school students, ages 14-17, and is designed for career exploration in areas such as video production, desktop publishing, and digital photography. SE Job Link is looking for sponsors to fund five Vermillion students to participate in this program. The cost to sponsor a student is $75. If you are interested in sponsoring a student, please contact South Dakota Career Center at 677-6900.
* OSHA & EPA Compliance � If your business or your employees could benefit from training in the areas of OSHA and EPA compliance issues, the Regional Technical Education Center (RTEC) would like to help you! For more information please contact Ric Morton, Training Program Coordinator, at 605-668-3480.
* Upcoming meetings � Monday, April 18, United Way meeting, noon at the VCDC office.