The Norwegian Lutheran Congregation was organized on Oct. 8, 1864, near Vermillion. This congregation included the Norwegian Lutherans in Clay, Union and Yankton counties. In 1867, this extensive congregation was divided into three districts � Brule Creek in Union County, Bergen in Clay County and Vangen in Yankton County.
In the spring of 1871, construction began on a church building for the Bergen congregation and the first services were held July 19, 1871. The building was not complete until 1891 when a bell tower was added. The Bergen Lutheran Congregation was officially incorporated in 1886.
The present church building was constructed in 1909 and 1910 with the cornerstone being laid October 3, 1909 and dedication on June 11, 1911.
Over the 141 years, there have been many chicken suppers, lutefisk dinners, oyster stews, box socials, ice cream socials and potlucks. Breaking bread together was a lot of hard work, but also an important time of fellowship. Join us as we break bread together and celebrate our heritage.