Dec. 25, 2005
1. S is for Silence, by Sue Grafton. Kinsey Millhone searches for a woman who disappeared 34 years ago.
2. Mary, Mary, by James Patterson. FBI agent Alex Cross tracks a Hollywood killer who announces the crimes via e-mail.
3. At First Sight, by Nicholas Sparks. The young couple from the book True Believer are now expecting a child and receive a disturbing message.
4. Predator, by Patricia Cornwell. On the trail of a possible serial killer, Dr. Kay Scarpetta turns to a jailed psychopath for advice.
5. Light from Heaven, by Jan Karon. In the final novel of the Mitford series, Father Tim is asked to revive a long-closed mountain church.
6. Amazing Peace, by Maya Angelou. A poem read at the lighting of the White House Christmas tree.
7. The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown. A murder at the Louvre leads to a trail of clues found in the work of Leonardo and to the discovery of a secret society.
8. Forever Odd, by Dean Koontz. Odd Thomas, a character from a previous novel, searches for a missing friend.
9. The Lighthouse, by P.D. James. Commander Adam Dalgliesh is called in to solve a murder on a remote Cornish island.
10. Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt, by Anne Rice. What happened in Bethlehem: a story narrated by a 7-year old who discovers that he is the Prince of Peace.
These best sellers are available or on order at the Vermillion Public Library. Please check the card catalog or ask at the circulation desk to obtain the location of these books. If your choice is currently unavailable, have a staff person place it on reserve for you.
DearReader.com Book Club
The DearReader.com Book Club offers many selections to Internet patrons. Each book runs for five days, Monday through Friday. Some genres only offer selections every other week. Check out this service by registering at the library's Web site, http://vpl.sdln.net and clicking on the book club icon. Online patrons can find the club at www.supportlibrary.com/ su/su.cfm?x=470596. Selections for the week of Jan. 9 are:
BUSINESS: Market Busters, by Rita Gunther McGrath and Ian C. MacMillan.
FICTION: The Good Wife Strikes Back, by Elizabeth Buchan.
GOOD NEWS: The Scent of Lilacs, by Ann H. Gabhart.
MYSTERY: Death of Riley, by Rhys Bowen.
NON-FICTION: The Death of Innocents, by Helen Prejean.
ROMANCE: At Risk, by Judith E. French.
TEEN: Pepperland, by Mark Delany.
Discover Your Library
The next Vermillion Public Library Book Club meeting is scheduled for Thursday, Jan. 26 from 6 to 8 p.m. The new book for discussion will be The Serpent's Trail by Sue Henry. Another mystery from an award-winning author brings back the heart warming character of Maxie Mc-Nabb, a 63-year-old retiree who has hit the road in her brand-new Winnabago accompanied by her mini-dachshund, Stretch. Maxie is on her way to visit an old friend who is terminally ill and barely conscious in the hospital. The real adventure starts when Stretch and Maxie arrive in Grand Junction, CO, to find the friend's home has been burglarized. Book club copies of this mystery can be obtained at the library.
The winter/spring story time will begin on Feb. 6. Registration begins on Monday, Jan. 9 at the library. Preschool story time in open to children ages 3 to 5 years and toddler story time is open for children from 1 to 3 years. Registration is required and space is limited. Stop by or call the library for more information at 677-7060.