- USD Theatre presents Crimes of the Heart by Beth Henley Feb. 22 through Saturday, Feb. 25. The show will begin at 8 p.m. in the Wayne S. Knutson Theatre at USD. When the three zany McGrath sisters reunite in their family home in Hazelhurst, MS, their personal crises lead to a hilarious yet heartfelt story of survival. Tickets: $10 adults; $8 senior citizens; $6 youth (high school and below). Box office is open from noon to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and noon to curtain on days of performance. For more information call 677-5400.
- Brown Bag Lunch Program � The National Music Museum presents Vermillion's own "King of the Guitar", T. Wilson King. King is a South Dakota poet/songwriter and will be performing with acoustic and bottle-neck guitars. Come listen to the show at the National Music Museum on Friday, Feb. 24 starting at 12:05 p.m.
- PTA Carnival � The Vermillion PTA will be putting on a carnival at Vermillion High School on Friday, Feb. 24 from 5 to 8 p.m.
- USD women's basketball � The University of South Dakota women's basketball team will be hosting St. Cloud State University on Saturday, Feb. 25 in the DakotaDome at 6 p.m. Go Yotes!!!
- USD men's basketball – The University of South Dakota men's basketball team will be hosting St. Cloud State University on Saturday, Feb. 25 in the DakotaDome at 8 p.m. Go Yotes!!!
- USD Symphony Orchestra Concert � USD Symphony Orchestra will be performing on Monday, Feb. 27 in Slagle Auditorium from 7:30 to 9 p.m. This concert is free and open to the public.
- Vermillion Jaycees � The Vermillion Jaycees, in partnership with Pressbox Bar and Grill, present "The 28 Second Challenge!" on Tuesday, Feb. 28. Registration starts at 8:30 p.m. and the challenge starts at 9 p.m. Come for the fun! If you are not laughing you aren't doing it right!!!
- Merchant Meeting � The next merchant meeting will be held on Wednesday, March 1 starting at 6 p.m. at the VCDC office. Your input is appreciated! We hope to see you there!
- Red Dot Sale Event � Shop for special savings and special deals during the RED DOT SALE EVENT on Friday, March 3 and Saturday, March 4! Anyone who purchases anything at a participating merchant's business during the RED DOT SALE EVENT can register in the store to win $50 in Vermillion Bucks! Don't miss this opportunity to shop locally for special savings and the chance to win!
- W.H. Over Museum � Gala grand opening of the American Rivers traveling exhibit: "Discovering the Rivers of Lewis and Clark." This event is the formal opening of the exhibit and will be catered by Valiant Vinyards Winery. This is a fund raiser to help defray the expense of bringing the exhibit to Vermillion and the donation is $10 per person. Doors open at 4 p.m. on Saturday, March 4. Children welcome.
- Vermillion's City Council will meet Monday, March 6. City council meetings are held the first and third Monday of each month at 7 p.m. at the Al Neuharth Center. For more information contact the city office at 677-7050 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can check out the meeting agenda on the city's Web site at www.cityofvermillion.com.
- Vermillion Firemen's Dance � Join the Vermillion Firemen at the Eagles from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. on Saturday, March 11 for the Vermillion Firemen's Dance.
- VCDC Annual Banquet � Thanks to everyone for their help in making the VCDC Annual Banquet, held on Friday, Feb. 17, a success! We would like to give a special thanks to: Randy Hammer, Pastor Devon Davoux, Duane Salonen, Eagles, Hy-Vee, Willson Florist, Open Mike's, Diane Savoie, Sheila Prosser, the Broadcaster/Plain Talk, all award winners and presenters, VCDC members/supporters/partners/believers, and the great community of Vermillion ? The Place To Be! Congratulations to the following for receiving recognition and special awards:
VCDC Gold Level Investors � Special Recognition for their outstanding support of the VCDC
Bank of the West � Special Recognition for Economic Development Contribution to the VCDC
Tom Heinz � VCDC Community Leader Award
Mart Marine � Excellence in Family Business Award
Gloria Barnes � Mayor's Community Service Award
John Mueller � United Way Volunteer of the Year
Bank of the West � Vermillion Beautiful's Beautiful Neighbor Award.
Ardell K. Hatch, 93, of Vermillion, passed away Monday, Dec. 9, 2013, at the Sanford Vermillion Hospital. Ardell was born … Read Article