- BF-LF needs You(th) � Big-Friends-Little Friends of Union County serves youth in Clay and Union counties, and is seeking more youth and adults for its program.
The program would like to find an 8- to 11-year-old girl to match with a female volunteer, in the Parker or Viborg area. Two boys are also seeking adult males to spend time with each week in Irene, and male and female volunteers are needed to match with available youth in Vermillion.
Applications are available under the volunteer button for both youth and adults at www.bflfmentoring.org. For further details contact John Gille, program director at 1-605-356-2571 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Red Dot Sale Event � Congratulations to Connie Peters of Alcester! She was our lucky winner of the February Red Dot Sale Event Drawing for $50 in Vermillion Bucks! Connie shopped at Choice Pharmacy during the February Red Dot Sale Event. Mark your calendars for the next Red Dot Sale Event which will be on Friday, March 3 and Saturday, March 4.
- W.H. Over Museum � Correction on the potluck dinner � it will begin at 6 p.m. The W.H. Over Museum will be having a potluck dinner starting at 6 p.m., along with a "Quilts Reception and Talk" from 7 to 9 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 10. Join the W.H. Over Museum in Sletwold Hall for an enjoyable evening!
- Hot Shots Competition � Join the Vermillion Jaycees Saturday, Feb. 11 as they host their annual Hot Shots Competition at the Vermillion Middle School gym on Saturday, Feb. 11 beginning at 3 p.m.
This is a competition that tests a participant's speed, shooting ability, dribbling skills, and rebounding ability. Winners go on to a state competition on Saturday, Feb. 25 in Garretson.
The competition is open to boys and girls ages 9-14. The age brackets are 9-10 years, 11-12 years, and 13-14 years. Boys and girls compete separately. Entrants must be 9 years old before Jan. 1, 2006. Registration starts at 2:30 p.m., and participants must have a parent consent form signed. Forms may be picked up at the Jolley and middle school offices.
- USD/Vermillion Day in Pierre � Join us Monday, Feb. 13 for USD/Vermillion Day in Pierre! The City of Vermillion has chartered a bus for the day. The bus will leave at 6 a.m. and return after the USD Alumni event, leaving Pierre about 8 p.m. and getting back to Vermillion around midnight. The cost is $25 per person for the round trip. Reservations can be made with Joan Tolsma or City Manager John Prescott at city hall by calling 677-7050.
Events in Pierre include:
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. � Lunch in the Capitol Rotunda featuring student athletes including members of the 2005 Coyote football and cross country teams. The lunch is hosted by the USD Alumni Association and the Vermillion Chamber of Commerce & Development Company.
- 2 to 5 p.m. � Watch the House and Senate in session at the Capitol. Tours of Pierre attractions are also available.
- 6 to 8 p.m. � Social at the Ramkota Hotel for alumni and friends. The event will feature student athletes and coaches. Complimentary hors d'oeuvres and a cash bar. Hosted by the USD Alumni Association with music provided by USD musicians.
- 2006 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Breakfast � All are invited! In honor of Black History Month, USD, in collaboration with the Vermillion Ministerial Association, is inviting you to a "CommUniversity" event. Fred Gray, civil rights activist, attorney for Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King and the March to Selma, and his wife, Carol, will be in Vermillion Thursday and Friday, Feb. 16 and 17. On Thursday, the Vermillion First United Methodist Church will be hosting a light breakfast for the Grays and the community. All are invited to listen to Mr. Gray share his experiences as a civil rights activist.
- 2006 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Lecture and Awards Celebration � To conclude the day, the public is also invited to attend an evening lecture by Mr. Gray at 7:30 p.m. in Slagle Auditorium on the USD campus. There will be special recognitions and musical performances by members of the USD community. Why not invite a friend?
Don't miss these special events!
- VCDC Annual Banquet � Mark your calendars! The VCDC annual banquet has been scheduled for Friday, Feb. 17 with a social hour beginning at 6 p.m. at the Eagles Club in Vermillion. Join us for food and entertainment as we celebrate another year of our partnerships. Please RSVP your attendance by contacting us at 624-5571 or 906 East Cherry Street.
- Brown Bag Lunch Program � Brown bag lunch program presents Klassic Klarinet Klezmer with Deborah Check Reeves on clarinet from The University of South Dakota, along with John D. Check on piano from Central Missouri State University. Come listen to the show at the National Music Museum on Friday, Feb. 17 starting at 12:05 p.m.
- Dinner Theatre � Vermillion Community Theatre presents the Tony Award winning musical Into the Woods. This is more than a kid's show with intricate lyrics and dazzling music. What begins as a lively irreverent fantasy becomes a moving lesson about community responsibility and the stories we tell our children.
Tickets may be purchased at Nook 'n Cranny, Davis Pharmacy, and at the door the night of the performance. This show will be performed at the Vermillion HS Theatre.
Performances are Friday, Feb. 17 at 7:30 p.m. with dinner at 6 p.m.; Saturday, Feb. 18 at 7:30 p.m. with dinner at 6 p.m.; Sunday, Feb. 19 at 2:30 p.m.; Monday, Feb. 20 at 7:30 p.m.
See www.vermillioncommunitytheatre.org for additional information.
- Address Correction � Open House/Social at SESDAC � SESDAC would like to invite the public to tour their newly remodeled building on Feb. 21. They will be showcasing new safety improvements, added workspace, along with meeting ADA standards. Please join them for hors d'oeuvres and refreshments from 5 to 7 p.m. at SESDAC at 1314 East Cherry Street in Vermillion.
Vermillion Chamber & Development Company Events Calendar
Our Web site now has an events calendar. The public can add events to the calendar and view what's going on in the community. Go to www.vermillionchamber.com then go to the left side of the screen and click on the "Events" button and thenhttp://www.vermillionchamber.com/view.php?doc_id=376 "Community Calendar" button. Once you've saved the event we will review and post it on the calendar. If you need any assistance or have questions contact our office 624-5571.
By Jeremy Hoeck email@example.com The University of South Dakota has parted ways with interim men’s basketball coach Joey James. According … Read Article