- BF-LF needs You(th) � Big Friends-Little Friends of Union County serves youth in Clay and Union counties, and is seeking more youth and adults for its program. The program would like to find an 8- to 11-year-old girl to match with a female volunteer, in the Parker or Viborg area. Two boys are also seeking adult males to spend time with each week in Irene, and male and female volunteers are needed to match with available youth in Vermillion. The program's Web site is http://www.bflfmentoring.org. Applications are available under the volunteer button for both youth and adults. For further details contact John Gille, program director at: 1-605-356-2571 or e-mail jgille@i w.net.
- Red Dot Sale Event � Shop for special savings and special deals during the RED DOT SALE EVENT on Friday, Feb. 3 and Saturday, Feb. 4! Anyone who purchases anything at a participating merchant's business during the RED DOT SALE EVENT can register in the store to win $50 in Vermillion Bucks! Don't miss this opportunity to shop locally for special savings and the chance to win!
- Super Bowl Party � Join the Eagles on Sunday, Feb. 5 for a Super Bowl party. Doors open at 2 p.m. Bring your favorite food and join the potluck!
- South Dakota State One-Act Play Festival � Schools from across the state will be competing in class AA, A, and B, for individual and ensemble performance awards. Performances, which occur on a 45-minute rotation, are free and open to the public. The festival will be at the Wayne S. Knutson Theatre. On Friday, Feb. 3, the first performance begins at 8 a.m. with last performance at 9:20 p.m. On Saturday, Feb. 4, the first performance begins at 8 a.m., with last performance at 4:55 p.m. For more information please contact 677-5736.
- Brown Bag Lunch � Brown bag lunch program presents The Euclid Quartet. They will perform Beetho-ven's String Quartet Op. 59, No. 1 in F Major. Come listen to the free show at the National Music Museum on Friday, Feb. 3 starting at 12:05 p.m.
- Legislative Cracker Barrel Session ��The public is invited to attend a Legislative Cracker Barrel Session with Rep. Donna Schafer, Rep. Jamie Boomgarden and Sen. Ben Nesselhuf Saturday, Feb. 4, from 10 a.m. to noon at the William J. Radigan Fire & EMS Station, 820 N. Dakota Street in Vermillion. Refreshments will be served, compliments of Delta Kappa Gamma. Please join us for some great discussion!
- City Council Meeting � Vermillion's City Council will meet on Monday, Feb. 6. City Council meetings are held the first and third Monday of each month at 7 p.m. at the Al Neuharth Center. For more information contact the city office at 677-7050 or e-mail email@example.com. You can check out the meeting agenda on the city's Web site at www.cityofvermillion.com.
- Jaycees Meeting � Jaycees will be having a general membership meeting at the public library on Tuesday, Feb. 7 from 7 to 8 p.m.
- Open House/70th Anniversary � Clay-Union Electric Corporation would like to invite the public to help them celebrate the 70th anniversary of Clay-Union Electric with an open house from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 9 with pancakes and sausage being served.
- W.H. Over Museum � The W.H. Over Museum will be having a "Quilts Reception and Talk," along with a potluck dinner from 7 to 9 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 10. Join the W.H. Over Museum in Sletwold Hall for an enjoyable evening.
- USD & Vermillion Day in Pierre � Join us Monday, Feb. 13 for USD & Vermillion Day in Pierre! The City of Vermillion has chartered a bus for the day. The bus will leave at 6 a.m. and return after the USD Alumni event, leaving Pierre about 8 p.m. and getting back to Vermillion about midnight. The cost is $25 per person for the round trip. Reservations can be made with Joan Tolsma or City Manager John Prescott at city hall by calling 677-7050.
Events in Pierre include:
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. � Lunch in the Capitol Rotunda featuring student athletes including members of the 2005 Coyote football and cross country teams. The lunch is hosted by the USD Alumni Association and the Vermillion Chamber of Commerce & Development Company.
- 2 to 5 p.m. � Watch the House and Senate in session at the Capitol. Tours of Pierre attractions are also available.
- 6 to 8 p.m. � Social at the Ramkota Hotel for alumni and friends. The event will feature student athletes and coaches. Complimentary hors d'oeuvres and a cash bar. Hosted by the USD Alumni Association with music provided by USD musicians.
- VCDC Annual Banquet � Mark your calendars! The VCDC annual banquet has been scheduled for Friday, Feb. 17 with a social hour beginning at 6 p.m. at the Eagles in Vermillion. More information on this event will be coming out soon!
- Dinner Theatre � Vermillion Community Theatre presents the Tony Award winning musical Into the Woods. This is more than a kid's show with intricate lyrics and dazzling music. What begins as a lively irreverent fantasy becomes a moving lesson about community responsibility and the stories we tell our children. Tickets may be purchased at Nook 'n Cranny, Davis Pharmacy, and at the door the night of the performance. This show will be preformed at the Vermillion High School theatre. The dates of the performances are: Friday, Feb. 17, 6 p.m. dinner, 7:30 p.m. show; Saturday, Feb. 18, 6 p.m. dinner, 7:30 p.m. show; Sunday, Feb. 19, 2:30 p.m. show only; Monday, Feb. 20, 7:30 p.m. show only. See www.vermillioncommunitytheatre.org for additional information.
- Open House/Social at SESDAC � SESDAC would like to invite the public to tour their newly remodeled building on Feb. 21. They will be showcasing new safety improvements, added workspace, along with meeting ADA standards. Please join them for hors d'oeuvres and refreshments from 5 to 7 p.m. at SESDAC, 812 N. Crawford Road in Vermillion.