- Dakota Street Construction – The reconstruction of Dakota Street from Main Street to Cherry Street began on Tuesday, April 18. The intersection of Dakota Street and Main Street is closed. Dakota Street will also be closed from the Dakota Street and Main Street intersection north to the south line of the Clark Street and Dakota Street intersection. The intersection of Dakota Street and Clark Street will remain open at this time. The city of Vermillion will be providing updates, taking questions, and addressing any concerns.
For more information, you can contact the city at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 677-7050. Anyone interested in receiving e-mail notifications about the Dakota Street reconstruction project is encouraged to e-mail the City of Vermillion at email@example.com.
- Summer Fast Track Program – The Vermillion Chamber of Commerce & Development Company, in collaboration with The University of South Dakota, is busy planning for the upcoming school year. The admissions office at USD is asking for items/coupons from local businesses to welcome the NEW incoming students to Vermillion. If you are interested in putting a coupon or item from your business in the Fast Track bags that go to the students, please have the items to our office no later than Friday, May 5 and we will get them included. We are asking for approximately 1,200 of each item for the bags. This is a great way to showcase your business and let the students at The University of South Dakota know what our community has to offer. If you have any questions please call our office at 624-5571.
- Prentis Park Playground Fund Raiser – Over 25 years ago, the City of Vermillion installed playground equipment in Prentis Park just east of the swimming pool. Many families have enjoyed this equipment, but it is now time to replace it. The new equipment will serve kids of all ages and will be handicapped accessible, which the current equipment is not. The new equipment has slides, climbing towers, swings, a challenging rock climbing board and many other items that the children of Vermillion will love.
The Vermillion Area Community Foundation and the Prentis Park Playground Committee are seeking public contributions to help fund the project. Keeping with the spirit of a public/private partnership, the Vermillion Area Community Foundation, a 501(C)3 non profit organization, will handle all contributions so that they are tax deductible.
Please make your contribution to VACF/Prentis Park Project and send it to VACF, PO Box 342, Vermillion, SD 57069. The children of Vermillion will thank you for your generosity every time they play on it, as will their parents and grandparents! Please consider making a contribution for the future benefit of many!
- Welcome new VCDC members! Please join us in welcoming Shear Image, 820 East Cherry Street, and HillBilly Carpet Cleaning, 30993 SD Hwy. 19, as new Vermillion Chamber of Commerce & Development Company members! We're excited to have Shear Image and HillBilly Carpet Cleaning as new members and we're looking forward to great partnerships with them in the future!
- United Way of Vermillion presents "The Music of Sweetwater" � Come and enjoy a sweet mixture of gospel, country, and swing music along with the talent of Vermillion's Middle School musicians. Please join us Friday, April 21 at 7 p.m. at Farber Hall in Old Main on the USD campus. Tickets are available at the Vermillion Chamber of Commerce & Development Company, Hy-Vee, Jones' Food Center, and Nook 'n Cranny. All proceeds will benefit the agencies and individuals who are supported through the United Way of Vermillion!
- Heritage Arts Day – This event has been cancelled for Saturday, April 22. If you have any questions please contact Deb or Colleen at the Clay County Extension Office at 677-7111.
- Vermillion High School Grand March and Prom – The Vermillion High School Grand March and Prom will be on Saturday, April 22 at 7:45 p.m. Call 605-677-7035 for more information.
- Italian Charms Sale – Lori Roinstad will be selling Italian Charms for $1 each at the USD Coyote Student Center, on Tuesday, April 25 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information contact 605-661-8352.
- Jaycee Antics – Join the Jaycees at the Pressbox Bar & Grill on Tuesday, April 27 at 7 p.m. For more information contact Jen at 624-5900.
- Child Care Training – Join us on Thursday, April 27 for the last of this four-part series, "More Than a Routine & Group Care Environments. The session will be held at the Clay County 4-H Center at 515 High Street from 6:30 to 9 p.m. Please contact 677-7111 by 5 p.m. on April 26 to pre-register.
- Brown Bag Lunch Program – On Friday, April 28 at 12:05 p.m., the National Music Museum presents "The Kyai Rengga Manis Everist Gamelan, USD Gamelan Ensemble." This show is free and open to the public.
- Garrison Keillor "A Prairie Home Companion" – Garrison Keillor is coming back to The University of South Dakota and this time he'll bring a few friends along for the journey. Keillor is bringing his hit radio show, A Prairie Home Companion, to the DakotaDome on Saturday, April 29 at 4:45 p.m. The show will feature instruments from the collections of the world-renowned National Music Museum. The Vermillion performance is sponsored jointly by The University of South Dakota and SDPB. Ticket prices start at $20. Call 1-800-333-0789 for ticket information.
- Mark your calendars for the VCDC Golf Social on Tuesday, Aug. 1, at The Bluffs Golf Course for the annual VCDC golf social! You won't want to miss out on this wonderful day of golf and networking event!
More information will be provided on this event in the near future! For questions or to reserve your spot in advance, contact us at 624-5571.
- Community Calendar – To check out more great community events, or if you would like to submit an event, please log onto www.vermillionchamber.com or contact 624-5571.
By David Lias For most people in Vermillion, Cheryl Miller and Pamella Jackson have been merely images on newsprint. The … Read Article