- Prentis Park Playground Fund Raiser – Over 25 years ago, the City of Vermillion installed playground equipment in Prentis Park just east of the swimming pool. Many families have enjoyed this equipment, but it is now time to replace it. The new equipment will serve kids of all ages and will be handicapped accessible, which the current equipment is not. The new equipment has slides, climbing towers, swings, a challenging rock climbing board and many other items that the children of Vermillion will love.
The Vermillion Area Community Foundation and the Prentis Park Playground Committee are seeking public contributions to help fund the project. Keeping with the spirit of a public/private partnership, the Vermillion Area Community Foundation, a 501(C)3 non profit organization, will handle all contributions so that they are tax deductible.
Please make your contribution to VACF/Prentis Park Project and send it to VACF, PO Box 342, Vermillion, SD 57069. The children of Vermillion will thank you for your generosity every time they play on it, as will their parents and grandparents!
- The Golden Easter Egg Hunt is over! Congratulations to Reilly Hoyt and Dan Hansen for finding the Golden Easter Egg. The lucky winners received $250 in Vermillion Bucks and a basket of merchandise! The egg was located at Ron Turner Park. Thank you to everyone who participated in the sixth annual Golden Easter Egg Hunt!
- Child Care Training – Join us the last two Thursdays in April for the final installments of this four-part series.
Session 3 � Thursday, April 20 – Primary Care Giving & Respectful Care
Session 4 � Thursday, April 27 – More Than a Routine & Group Care Environments
Sessions will be held at the Clay County 4-H Center at 515 High Street. Sessions will run from 6:30 to 9 p.m. Please contact 677-7111 by 5 p.m. the day before a session to pre-register.
- Red Dot Sale Event – Congratulations to Sister Rosemarie Maly of Vermillion! She was our lucky winner of the April Red Dot Sale Event Drawing for $50 in Vermillion Bucks. Rosemarie shopped at Sharing the Dream in Guatemala during the April Red Dot Sale Event. Mark your calendars for the next Red Dot Sale Event which will be on Friday, May 5 and Saturday, May 6.
- Community Brown Bag "Service – Learning and the Community" � This session will introduce service � learning as a concept and what makes it a unique way to connect the community to the classroom. It will also illuminate the differences between service � learning, volunteerism, and internships, and provide tips on how your agency can connect with an energetic, available pool of students. This session will be presented by Jacquie Lonning, Student Action Coordinator at USD. This session will be at the Coyote Student Center in room Hoy B from noon to 1 p.m. on Friday, April 14.
- Vermillion's City Council will meet on Monday, April 17. City council meetings are held the first and third Monday of each month at 7 p.m. at the Al Neuharth Center. For more information contact the city office at 677-7050 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. You can check out the meeting agenda on the city's Web site at www.cityofvermillion.com.
- Vermillion Lions Club Spring Pancake Days – Join the Vermillion Lions Club at the National Guard Armory for their Spring Pancake Days, Wednesday, April 19 and Thursday, April 20 from 5 to 7 p.m. on both days. Tickets will be sold for $4 in advance and $5 at the door.
- Vermillion High School Grand March and Prom – The Vermillion High School Grand March and Prom will be on Saturday, April 22 at 7:45 p.m. Call 605-677-7035 for more information.
- United Way of Vermillion presents "The Music of Sweetwater." Come enjoy a sweet mixture of gospel, country, and swing music, along with the talent of Vermillion's Middle School musicians on Friday, April 21, at 7 p.m. The concert will be in Farber Hall of Old Main on the USD campus. Tickets are available at the Vermillion Chamber of Commerce & Development Company, Hy-Vee, Jones' Food Center, and Nook 'n Cranny. All proceeds will benefit the agencies and individuals who are supported by the United Way of Vermillion!
- Heritage Arts Day – Please join us on Saturday, April 22 at the 4-H Center at 515 High Street. Classes are offered at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Participants may register for one class per session. If you have any questions regarding the day's activities, please contact Deb or Colleen at the Clay County Extension Office at 677-7111. Registration is due by Wednesday, April 12.
10 a.m. to noon sessions:
Let Freedom Ring Angel; Fabric Post Cards; Beaded Jewelry; Beaded Lantern Lights.
1 to 3 p.m. sessions: Quilting 101; Dangly Doorway Decor; Fun & Fashionable Flip Flops; Beaded Jewelry; Inspirational Plaques.
- Mark your calendars for the VCDC Golf Social on Tuesday, Aug. 1 at The Bluffs Golf Course. More information will be provided on this event in the near future! For questions or to reserve your spot in advance, contact us at 624-5571.
- Community Calendar – To check out more great community events, or if you would like to submit an event, please log onto www.vermillionchamber.com or contact 624-5571.
Happy Easter, everyone!
Vermillion was named Large Community of the Year by Gov. Dennis Daugaard on Tuesday evening in Sioux Falls at the … Read Article