- Third Annual H-Worth Memorial Golf Tournament – Saturday, July 29 at The Bluffs Golf Course. A four-person scramble with prizes and free BBQ after the tournament. Tournament is in memory of Matthew Hollingsworth, with all proceeds going to the Clay County EMS Department. To register contact The Bluffs Golf Course at 677-7058.
- VCDC Golf Social – Tuesday, Aug. 1 at The Bluffs Golf Course. You don't want to miss out on this wonderful day of golf, fellowship, and the chance to win great prizes! If you are a non-golfer or not able to participate in the afternoon's golf event, you are welcome to join us for dinner which will begin after golf, or approximately 6:30 p.m. For more information contact us at 624-5571.
- National Night Out – The Vermillion Police Department cordially invites the public to attend the National Night Out on Tuesday, Aug. 1 from 5 to 9 p.m. at Prentis Park. Enjoy a special evening of fellowship, food, and fun for all ages!
- Leadership Workshop "Making the Transition from Worker to Leader / Supervisor – This dynamic half-day workshop, sponsored by Yankton's Regional Technical Education Center (RTEC) in association with S.M.A.R.T. Training, will be presented twice in Vermillion on Tuesday, Aug. 1 at the Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce & Development Company at 906 East Cherry Street. Cost is only $49 per person and you can choose the session that best fits your schedule.
- Session A – 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Session B – 1 to 4:30 p.m.
"Making the Transition from Worker to Leader/Supervisor" will feature Tom Hausmann, the creator of S.M.A.R.T. Training – and his custom-designed training which is Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Time-Bound.
During the workshop, Hausmann will give participants the tools they need to become effective leaders. Those who attend will learn:
- how to motivate others to perform.
- how to address inappropriate behavior.
- when leaders need to delegate.
- the proper way to offer feedback.
- and much more!
This workshop will give participants the edge so they can avoid the stumbling blocks most people encounter when they take on their first leadership role. Participants will be armed with practical strategies that will help them succeed in their new role right away! For more information or to register, contact RTEC at (605) 668-5700.
- The Vermillion Coalition Against Domestic Violence has served the local community for over 20 years, by providing support and safety to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking. To build upon this success, the coalition is undergoing a comprehensive planning exercise to chart its path for the next 20 years.
You can be a part of this important work. If you have received services from the coalition, have been the victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or know someone who has, or are generally concerned about these issues, please take the time to complete the coalition's opinion survey.
The coalition's opinion survey can be completed at numerous locations in Vermillion including the library, churches, the Native American Cultural Center, Civic Council, Welcome Table, and some local restaurants. All survey responses are completely anonymous. Thank you for helping build a safer and better community.
- The Vermillion Chamber of Commerce & Development Company and the Dale Carnegie Institute present "Enthusiasm Makes the Difference" � You are cordially invited to attend a luncheon featuring Duane Salonen of the Dale Carnegie Institute. Please join us on Thursday, Aug. 3, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., at Pro's Sports Bar & Grill, 912 North Dakota Street in Vermillion. The cost of the program and lunch is $25. Please make your reservation by calling 624-5571. This is an excellent opportunity to take advantage of some professional leadership and motivational training and have fun, too!
- Congratulations, Vermillion Blaze! The Vermillion Blaze won the state championship in the 12-under modified division of the SD State Youth Softball Tournament in Sioux Falls last weekend. The Blaze won the title with an 18-13 win over Platte. Their tourney record over the weekend was 4-0. Congratulations to the team and to coaches Kelly Saunders and Shelly Bye!
- Wal-Mart will host the Children's Miracle Network Golf Fund Raiser at The Bluffs Golf Course in Vermillion beginning at 2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 5. The event is an 18-hole, four-person scramble. The cost is $40 per person (includes golf and a 7 p.m. dinner. Prizes will be handed out afterwards. Contact Brett or Alec at Wal-Mart, 605-624-0215, for more information.
- Community Calendar/Weekly Update – To check out more great community events, or if you would like to submit an event or a promotion, please log onto www.vermillionchamber.com or contact 624-5571.
- Clay County Fair – Aug. 10-12.
- Bull-a-Rama – Aug.25-27.
- Great Dakota Wine & Music Festival – Sept. 2-3.
- Spirit of Vermillion Days – Sept. 2-3.
- Downtown After Dark/Crazy Daze – Sept. 28.
Ardell K. Hatch, 93, of Vermillion, passed away Monday, Dec. 9, 2013, at the Sanford Vermillion Hospital. Ardell was born … Read Article