- Congratulations to Helen Hall of Ponca, NE! She was our lucky winner of the July Red Dot Sale Event Drawing for $50 in Vermillion Bucks! Helen shopped at Choice Pharmacy during the July Red Dot Sale Event. Mark your calendars for the next Red Dot Sale Event which will be on Friday, Aug. 4 and Saturday, Aug. 5.
- 55th Annual Upper Midwest Junior – Senior High School Summer Music Camp � The University of South Dakota's Upper Midwest Summer Music Camp is going on through Friday, July 14 with 7 p.m. nightly concerts at the Fine Arts building. This camp brings in over 200 students to our community.!
- VCDC Golf Social – Tuesday, Aug. 1 at The Bluffs Golf Course. Please return your registration form by July 14 to the Vermillion Chamber of Commerce & Development Company at 906 East Cherry Street or fax it to 605-624-0094. If you are a non-golfer or not able to participate in the afternoon's golf event, you are welcome to join us for dinner which will begin after golf, or approximately 6:30 p.m.
- Please join the Vermillion Public Library on Saturday, July 15 from 1 to 4 p.m. in the community room for a Scrabble Scrimmage. This fun event is open to adults and young adults ages 12-18.
- The city of Vermillion cordially invites the public to attend the Prentis Park Equipment Carnival on Tuesday, July 18 from 5 to 7 p.m. with a ribbon cutting ceremony at 5:30 p.m. Enjoy an evening with face painting, clowns and balloons, jumping castle, mini golf, free hotdogs, free ice cream from Doo Wop Shake Shop, and free pop from Hy-Vee Food Store.
- You are cordially invited to attend a Business After Hours Open House & Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for Prairie Eye Clinic located at 11 Shriner Street on Thursday, July 20, from 5 to 7 p.m. with a ribbon cutting ceremony at 5:30 p.m. Come join us in celebration of Dr. Kevin Brown and Dr. Cynthia Johnson's new and expanded facility!
- A "Referrals Over Breakfast" networking meeting will be held on Friday, July 21 at Hy-Vee beginning at 7:30 a.m. We will start the morning with some coffee (provided by the VCDC) and social time (feel free to order your own breakfast if desired) at 7:30 a.m. and then at 7:45 a.m. we'll begin the meeting. Each attendee will have a few minutes to tell others about their business. We'd like to encourage each participant to also share a business-related suggestion, tool, a "hot tip", or great resource that you've discovered that might also be helpful to others in their business. Also, you are encouraged to bring along your business cards. After those presentations, two or three businesses (randomly selected in advance) will have the floor for approximately 10-15 minutes each to share a spotlight presentation about their business. Please join us for this networking and business building event! For more information or to RSVP prior to Wednesday, July 19 contact the Vermillion Chamber of Commerce & Development Company at 624-5571.
- 2006 South Dakota Youth Congress – Wednesday, July 26 – Friday, July 28 at the W.O. Farber Center. High School leaders will learn about global integration of economies and societies and discuss the effects of globalization on poverty reduction, migration, job market changes and political systems. Sponsored by USD and its law school, the Center for Civic Participation and Leadership, Cheisman Center for Democracy, W.O. Farber Center for Civic Leadership, the Freedom Forum at the Al Neuharth Center, Kids Voting South Dakota, and the South Dakota Policy Institute. Please join us in welcoming this event and the participants to our community!
- Third Annual H-Worth Memorial Golf Tournament – Saturday, July 29 at The Bluffs Golf Course. A four person scramble with prizes and free BBQ after the tournament. Tournament is in memory of Matthew Hollingsworth with all proceeds going to the Clay County EMS Department. To register contact The Bluffs Golf Course at 677-7058.
- Leadership Workshop "Making the Transition from Worker to Leader / Supervisor" � This dynamic half-day workshop, sponsored by Yankton's Regional Technical Education Center (RTEC) in association with S.M.A.R.T. Training, will be presented twice in Vermillion on Tuesday, Aug. 1 at the Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce & Development Company at 906 East Cherry Street. Cost is only $49 per person and you can choose the session that best fits your schedule: Session A – 8 to 11:30 a.m., or Session B – 1 to 4:30 p.m.
"Making the Transition from Worker to Leader/Supervisor" will feature Tom Hausmann, the creator of S.M.A.R.T. Training – and his custom-designed training which is Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Time-Bound. During the workshop, Hausmann will give participants the tools they need to become effective leaders.
For more information or to register, contact RTEC at (605) 668-5700.
- Community Calendar/Weekly Update – To check out more great community events, or if you would like to submit an event or a promotion, please log onto www.vermillionchamber.com or contact 624-5571.
By David Lias For most people in Vermillion, Cheryl Miller and Pamella Jackson have been merely images on newsprint. The … Read Article