- Celebrate Lewis & Clark at Spirit Mound – Saturday, Aug. 26, 9 a.m. to noon. The W.H. Over Museum invites you and your families to Spirit Mound to enjoy fun activities for all ages while celebrating the lives and expedition of Lewis & Clark.
- Bull-A-Rama XIII – Aug. 25, 26 and 27. Activities include:
- Friday, Aug. 25 – 7 p.m., the Unloading of the Bulls at Rodeo Grounds. Free admission, food and drink available.
- Saturday, Aug. 26 – 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., the Bull Stops Here! At Pump 'n Pak in Vermillion. There will be bulls, bull fighters, clowns, bull riders, horse rides, mutton busting registration, give aways, raffles, and an art display and sale featuring the Western art of Ray Kelly.
- 7 p.m. – Bull-A-Rama XIII at the Clay County Park Rodeo Grounds, two miles west of Vermillion on Timber Road. There will be a fireworks display from Fireworks Unlimited, Inc., and a dance with music provided by the Rocking H Country Band. Advanced tickets for this event are available. For more information call the VCDC at 624-5571.
- Sunday, Aug. 27 – 11 a.m., trail ride along the Missouri River with lunch to follow. This is a free-will donation event.
- Mike Freidel Benefit Breakfast – Sunday, Aug. 27, 9 a.m. to noon. The Knights of Columbus invites you to join them in the St. Agnes gymnasium for an eggs and sausage breakfast to help Mike and his family. This event is open to the public, and a free-will donation is greatly appreciated.
- Dakota Textbook Company Grand Opening and Ribbon Cutting Ceremony – Aug. 26, 27, 28 and 29, featuring t-shirt giveaways, free hot dogs, and great prices on textbooks for back to school. There will be an open house on Friday, Aug. 25 from 5 to 7 p.m. with a ribbon cutting ceremony at 5:30 p.m.
- SVVMC Dogs of Summer Contest – Monday, Aug. 28. Bring your lawn chair and your dog and join in the fun! Mayor Dan Christopherson, along with the Care Center residents will judge your dog in all different categories. Registration begins at 6:45 p.m. in the Care Center Courtyard, and the judging begins at 7 p.m. For more information contact 624-2611.
- Coyote Bash – Monday, Aug. 28, 11:45 a.m. to 2 p.m. The Coyote Bash is an event designed to introduce USD freshmen to downtown Vermillion. Activities include a walking parade of students from 11:45 a.m. to noon from Slagle Hall to Main Street, (we're encouraging people to stand on Main Street and put "Welcome Student" signs in their windows) music, lunch for students, prize drawings, and visits to downtown businesses between noon and 2 p.m. Please join us in welcoming the freshman students to Vermillion!
- St. Agnes Ice Cream Social – Wednesday, Aug. 30, 5 to 7 p.m. at the St. Agnes Auditorium, sponsored by the Catholic Daughters. Come and enjoy taverns and ice cream with the community and help the St. Agnes School. Proceeds from this event go toward the St. Agnes Carpet Fund. This event is open to the public.
- Spirit of Vermillion Days – Sept. 2 and 3. Activities include:
- Saturday, Sept. 2 – 3 p.m. Motorcycle Poker Run.
- 8 p.m. to midnight – Street Dance featuring Judd Hoos.
- Sunday, Sept. 3 – Local performers all day. 12 to 3 p.m. – Car show on Main Street. Noon to 6 p.m., Amateur BBQ Cook-off. 4 p.m. – Car Show Poker Run.
- Third Annual Great Dakota Wine & Music Fest – Saturday, Sept. 2 and Sunday, Sept. 3 at Valiant Vineyards Winery. Event will feature live bands, wine tasting, cooking demonstrations, grape stomping, and many other events throughout the community. For more information, or to purchase a $15 two-day Wine-Tasting pass, contact Valiant Vineyards Winery at 624-4500. (Only those tasting wine need to buy a ticket.) If you would like to volunteer a couple hours of your time to help out with this excellent event please contact the Vermillion Chamber of Commerce & Development Company at 624-5571 or the Winery at 624-4500. Winery volunteers will receive a Wine-Tasting ticket and a Festival T-shirt.
- Saturday, Sept. 2 – 10 a.m. – Gates open at Winery.
10 a.m. to 6 p.m. – Grape Stomp/Picture on a Bottle. 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. – South Dakota food vendors booths open at Winery. 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. – South Dakota made products – vendors booths open at Winery. 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. – taste and buy wines from six South Dakota wineries at Winery. 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Live music band stand. Noon and 2 p.m.� Cooking with wine – demonstrations at Winery. 2 to 3:30 p.m. – Live Music Band Stand. 4 p.m. – Sangria Demonstrations. 6 to 8 p.m. – Live Music Band Stand.
- Sunday, Sept. 3 – Gates open at the Winery. 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. – Grape Stomp/Picture on a Bottle. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. – South Dakota Food Vendors Booths Open at Winery. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. – South Dakota made products vendors booths open at Winery. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. – Taste and buy wines from six South Dakota wineries at Winery. 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. – Live Music Band Stand. Noon and 2 p.m. – Cooking with Wine – Demonstrations at Winery. 1 to 2:30 p.m. and 3 to 5 p.m. – Live Music Band Stand.
- Agency Review Committee on Board of Regents – Public Testimony Hearings – The public is invited to attend the 2006 South Dakota Legislature's Agency Review Committee on Board of Regents Public Testimony Hearings on Tuesday, Sept. 5 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Al Neuharth Media Center Conference Room on the campus of USD.
- Vermillion Parks & Recreation Fall/Winter Registration – Wednesday, Sept. 6 from 4 to 7 p.m. at the Armory/Community Center located in Lions Park. Come and sign up for both youth and adult recreation programs of all different kinds!
- United Way Taste of Vermillion – Wednesday, Sept. 6, 5:30 to 7 p.m. at the Vermillion High School Commons. Come learn more about the United Way's 2007 Partner Agencies as they kick off their 2007 fund-raising campaign, and enjoy the hospitality of the Vermillion area restaurants while you listen. This event is open and free to the public.
- Lanehogs 5th Annual Margarita Ride – Saturday, Sept. 9. For more information and registration forms go to www.lanehogs.org/margarita.
- W.H. Over Museum Drawing Lessons – Saturday, Sept. 9, 9:30 to 11 a.m. Join Dickie Lee Jones-Kee for an introductory drawing class, open to children of all ages at the W.H. Over Museum.
- USD Military Appreciation Game – Saturday, Sept. 9, 7 p.m. at the DakotaDome. With a military I.D. card adults can enjoy half-priced tickets, and kids get in for free. Contact the Army National Guard for more information or for advanced tickets. Come and watch the USD Coyotes beat Minnesota-Crookston!
- Vermillion Area Farmer's Market has changed to the Mid-Week Food and Art Fest. Come and shop for locally grown produce and plants, and enjoy music, art, crafts, and lots of fun for the kids every Wednesday from 3 to 7 p.m. at the Washington Street Arts Center, from May to October. The Food and Art Fest is also looking for vendors, so if you are interested, please visit them from 3 to 7 p.m. on Wednesdays.
- Community Calendar/Weekly Update – To check out more great community events, or if you would like to submit an event or a promotion, please log onto www.vermillionchamber.com or contact 624-5571.