- Clay County Fair & Achievement Days (Events and times are subject to change)
Thursday, Aug. 10
- 8 to 11 a.m. – All livestock exhibits weighed and checked in.
- Noon to 1 p.m. – Open Class Table Setting Contest.
- 4 p.m. – Open Class & 4-H Exhibit Buildings Open.
- 5 p.m. – Northern Lights Amusements – Carnival.
- 6 p.m – 4-H Swine Show.
- 6:30 p.m. – Arena Beer Garden Opens.
- 7:30 p.m. – 4 Wheeler Mud Drags.
Friday, Aug. 11
- 8 a.m. – 4-H Rabbit Show.
- 10 a.m. – 4-H Sheep Show.
- Noon – Exhibits Open.
- 1 p.m. – 4-H Poultry Show.
- 2 p.m. – Northern Lights Amusements – Carnival.
- 4 p.m. – Commercial Booths Open.
- 4 p.m. – 4-H Cat Show.
- 5 to 7 p.m. – Entertainment: Poker Alice.
- 6 p.m. – Arena Beer Garden Opens.
- 7 p.m. – Demolition Derby.
- 10 p.m. – Buildings Close.
Saturday, Aug. 12
- 9 a.m. – 4-H Beef Show.
- Noon to 1 p.m. – Open Class Fruit, Pie & Cookie Contest.
- Noon – 4-H Fashion Revue Practice.
- Noon – Exhibits & Commercial Booths Open.
- Noon – Northern Lights Amusements – Carnival.
- 1:15 p.m. – 4-H Round Robin Contest.
- 3 p.m. – 4-H Fashion Revue.
- 3:30 p.m. – Livestock Awards.
- 4 p.m. – Round Bale Rolling Contest.
- 4:30 p.m. – Arena Beer Garden Opens.
- 5 p.m. – Tractor/Pick-up Pull.
- 5 to 6 p.m. – Community Pork Sandwich BBQ.
- 6 p.m. – Pie & Cookie Auction.
- 6:30 p.m. – Open Class Division Winner Photos.
- 7 p.m. – Open Mike's Talent Finals.
- 9 p.m. – Street Dance featuring Scratch That.
- 10 p.m. – Buildings Close.
- National Music Museum Brown Bag Lunch Program – Friday, Aug. 11, 12:05 to 12:55 p.m. This program features Kathleen Solose from the University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, in the Arne B. Larson Concert Hall. Kathleen will be playing Schubert's Sonata in B-flat Major, D. 960 on the grand piano by Anton Martin Th�m, Vienna, ca. 1815. This event is free and opened to the public. Coffee and tea are available for 50 cents.
Friends of the W.H. Over Museum August Events:
- Friday, Aug. 11, 7 p.m. to 9 a.m., Star Party Overnight. Fourth-, fifth- and sixth-graders are invited to stay overnight and watch the Perseid Meteor Showers. $25 registration fee, space is limited.
- Saturday, Aug. 12, 9:30 a.m., the STARLAB inflatable planetarium will be open to the public for a short program about the current night sky.
- Sunday, Aug. 13, 4:30 to 6 p.m., Celebrate 40 Years of Volunteerism at the Over, program and potluck at Sletwold Hall.
- St. Agnes School 2006-2007 Fall Registration – Monday, Aug. 14, 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Children of all denominations are welcome to attend preschool – fifth grade. For more information call St. Agnes School at 624-4144.
- Grand Opening & Ribbon Cutting Ceremony – The Prairie Lanes, Pro's, and Prairie Inn invite you to attend their Grand Opening on Aug. 15, 16, and 17. Event includes:
- Tuesday, Aug. 15, 4 to 8 p.m. – Dollar Day. Enjoy one dollar bowling, shoes, pizza, domestic taps and pop.
- Wednesday, Aug. 16, 4 to 5:30 p.m. – Buy one Get one Free bowling, shoes, pizza, and pop.
- 5:30 p.m. – Ribbon Cutting Ceremony.
- 6 p.m. – Bowling Pro-Am. Bowl with Vermillion's top bowlers, three game series with three different area professionals. Prizes will be awarded, and there will be free food and pop. Cost is $10 per child, $15 per adult. A bowling shop will be on hand with all your equipment needs.
- Thursday, Aug. 17, 4 to 8 p.m., You Bowl, You Win Day. Win different prizes for different scores.
- Vermillion Public Library Scrabble Scrimmage – Saturday, Aug. 19, 1 to 4 p.m. in the community room at the public library. Come and challenge others to Scrabble games at this spelling social and improve your word knowledge!
- Teacher Appreciation Breakfast – The Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce & Development Company, along with area merchants, will be hosting a Teacher Appreciation Breakfast at Vermillion High School on Tuesday, Aug. 22 beginning at 8:15 a.m. Merchants – if you are interested in providing 120 items or helping with this event, please be at VHS for set up at 7:45 a.m. This event is a great opportunity to meet the teachers and staff, to wish them the best as they start off the school year, and to show our thanks and appreciation for all they do for our community and for our children.
- Coyote Bash – Monday, Aug. 28, 11:45 a.m. to 2 p.m. The Coyote Bash is an event designed to introduce USD freshman to downtown Vermillion. Activities include a walking parade of students from 11:45 a.m. to noon from Slagle Hall to Main Street, (we're encouraging people to stand on Main Street and put "Welcome Student" signs in their windows) music, lunch for students, prize drawings, and visits to downtown businesses between noon and 2 p.m. Please join us in welcoming the freshman students to Vermillion!
- Community Calendar/Weekly Update – To check out more great community events, or if you would like to submit an event or a promotion, please log onto www.vermillionchamber.com or contact 624-5571.