Saturday, Sept. 3 will officially be known as Spirit of Vermillion Ribs, Rods & Rock 'N Roll Barbecue Cook-off Day in South Dakota, thanks to an executive proclamation issued this week by Gov. Mike Rounds.
Rounds issued the proclamation for the following reasons:
- Vermillion has a strong tradition in hosting barbecue events and rib feeds for over 60 years.
- The Norway Ribeaters, a group of barbecue pioneers from the Vermillion area, originated a unique process of grilling, using corncobs as a heat source, a process developed over 60 years ago.
- This tradition has been passed on to family members in this area for four generations.
- The Vermillion Jaycees will host the third annual barbecue cook-off during their Spirit of Vermillion Days' celebration, known as Ribs, Rods and Rock 'N Roll, involving constestants from the state of South Dakota.
- The olfactory senses of any person or persons in the vicinity of a barbecue in process will be tantalized beyond reasonable limits, and choosing to partake thereof will bring a taste experience like no other.