- USD Part-time Local Job Fair – Thursday, Sept. 7, 3 to 5:30 p.m., at the Freedom Forum Conference Center in the Al Neuharth Building. Meet potential employers and learn more about employment opportunities in the Vermillion area. Contact the Career Development Center at 677-5307 with any questions.
- National Music Museum Brown Bag Lunch Program – Friday, Sept. 8, 12:05 to 1:55 p.m. at the Arne B. Larson Concert Hall. This program features music by Alvin "Little Pink" Anderson, son of the legendary South Carolina piedmont bluesman, Pink Anderson. He is the only second-generation blues player active today. This event is free and open to the public. Coffee and tea are available for 50 cents.
- Lanehogs 5th Annual Margarita Ride – Saturday, Sept. 9. For more information and registration forms go to www.lanehogs.o rg/margarita.
- W.H. Over Museum Lessons – These events are open to children of all ages. For more information on any of these classes contact 677-5228
Saturday, Sept. 9
9:30 to 11 a.m. – Intro to drawing with Dickie (small fee).
1:30 to 3 p.m. – beading class with Wynona.
Saturday, Sept. 16
9:30 o 11 a.m. – Intro to drawing with Dickie (small fee).
Saturday, Sept. 23
9:30 to 11 a.m. – Intro to drawing with Dickie (small fee).
- USD Military Appreciation Game – Saturday, Sept. 9, 7 p.m. at the DakotaDome. With a military I.D. card adults can enjoy half-priced tickets, and kids get in for free. Contact the Army National Guard at 624-2078 for more information or for advance tickets. Come and watch the USD Coyotes beat Minnesota-Crookston!
- Pancake Sunday at the Senior Center – Sunday, Sept. 10, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Bring your friends and family to the Senior Center for pancakes, sausages, juice, and coffee. Everyone is invited; a good will offering is appreciated.
- St Paul's Episcopal Church Ice Cream Social – Sunday, Sept. 10, 5 to 7 p.m. at 10 Linden St. Come and enjoy taverns, pies, and yummy home-made ice cream! This event is open to the public; a good will offering is appreciated.
- 5th Annual Office Chair Grand Prix Fund Raiser – Tuesday, Sept. 12, 5:30 p.m. at the First Dakota National Bank parking lot. Don't miss out on the fun and a chance to donate to a wonderful cause. Sponsorship fee of $25, due by Sept. 8 to First Dakota National Bank, will go towards Vermillion's EMT/Ambulance Dept. and prizes. Prizes given for Best Dressed, and Largest Fan Club, as well as race winner. Bring your chair, driver, and cheering section!
- Senior Center Board Meeting – Thursday, Sept. 14, 9:30 a.m., at the Senior Center. Open to all members.
- USD Faculty Art Exhibit – An exhibit titled "An Anatomy Lesson: Marty's 40 Years of Trying to Figure it Out" will be on display in the Main Gallery of the Warrren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts, on the USD campus Sept. 8-28. A reception honoring Wanserski's work will be held Friday, Sept. 15 from 7 to 9 p.m.
- Vermillion Public Library Scrabble Scrimmage – Saturday, Sept. 16, 1 to 4 p.m. in the community room at the public library. Come and challenge others to Scrabble games at this spelling social and improve your word knowledge!
- St. Jude Bike Ride – Sunday, Sept. 17, at Jolley School. Registration from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., with a 1:30 p.m. start time. Bikers will ride to Burbank, with a picnic to follow. This event is open to adults and children of all ages. All proceeds go to help St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Registration forms are available at all the schools. For more information contact Mary at 624-3747. Get your exercise and help out a good cause!
- USD Community Education Fall 2006 Classes – Offering a variety of exciting courses to the citizens of Vermillion and surrounding areas.
Sept. 9, 2 to 5 p.m. – Card Weaving 1 – Lumo Studios, 12 and over, $30.
Sept. 10, 2 to 5 p.m. – Beginning Crochet – Lumo Studios, 12 and over, $25; 3 to 5 p.m. – One Book SD, The Gilead, Vermillion Public Library, free.
Sept. 12, 7 to 9 p.m. – Fall Lawn Care, VHS Room #22, $15.
Sept. 23, 2 to 5 p.m. – Beginning Yarn Spinning, Lumo Studios, 12 and over, $30.
Sept. 26, 7 t 9 p.m. – Fall Bulbs for Spring Glory, Lumo Studios, $15.
Sept. 30, 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. – Beginning Genealogy, Public Library, $2.
- Seeking Nominations for Retailer of the Year – The South Dakota Retailers Association is seeking nominations for the Retailer of the Year award. The award is presented each year to a retail store owner or manager who consistently provides outstanding customer service and is also actively involved in the community.
People who own or manage a retail store are eligible. Nominations for the Retailer of the Year Award must reach the Retailers Association office by November 10th to be considered. The recipient will be honored at the SDRA Awards Banquet in Pierre in January.
For more information or to obtain a nomination form, contact the South Dakota Retailers Association in Pierre at 800-658-5545, or visit www.sdra.org.
- Vermillion Area Farmer's Market has changed to the Mid-Week Food and Art Fest. Come and shop for locally grown produce and plants, and enjoy music, art, crafts, and lots of fun for the kids every Wednesday from 3 to 7 p.m. at the Washington Street Arts Center, from May to October. The Food and Art Fest is also looking for vendors, so if you are interested, please visit them.
- Never Neverland has moved! They still have the same great stuff, just a new storefront to display it in! Come visit them at their new location at 17 West Main Street.
- United Way of Vermillion – Welcome to Bob Fuller, the new Director of the Vermillion United Way! United Way of Vermillion also has a new e-mail address, email@example.com.
- Coach Ed Meierkort to Host TD Club Meeting on Wednesdays in Vermillion – University of South Dakota head football coach Ed Meierkort and his staff will host TD Club Meetings Wednesdays at 7 p.m. at Pro's. Coach Meierkort will present a review of the Coyotes' 59-0 season-opening win over Quincy University. Meierkort, who has directed USD to a 19-4 record in two seasons at USD, will also preview the Coyotes' next game with Minnesota-Crookston on Saturday, Sept. 9. The event is free and open to the public.
- Merchant Letter Correction/Downtown After Dark /Crazy Daze Event – VCDC merchants will be receiving a letter discussing the Downtown After Dark/Crazy Daze event. The letter incorrectly states the date of the event to be Tuesday, Sept. 28. The correct date is THURSDAY, Sept. 28. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have brought about.
- Red Dot Sale Event – Congratulations to Cecil Harrington of Vermillion! He was the VCDC's lucky winner of the September Red Dot Sale Event Drawing for $50 in Vermillion Bucks! Cecil shopped at Choice Pharmacy during the Sept. Red Dot Sale Event. Mark your calendars for the next Red Dot Sale Event, which will be on Friday, Oct. 6 and Saturday, Oct. 7.
- Community Calendar/Weekly Update – To check out more great community events, or if you would like to submit an event or a promotion, please log onto www.vermillionchamber.com or contact 624-5571.
By Travis Gulbrandson firstname.lastname@example.org It was standing room only at the newly-christened Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library, which had … Read Article