- W.H. Over Museum Lessons – These events are open to children of all ages. For more information on any of these classes, contact 677-5228.
Saturday, Oct. 21, 9:30 to 11 a.m. – Introduction to Watercolors with Dickie Lee-Jones-Kee for all ages.
Friday, Oct. 27, Astronomy Club First Quarter Observing for all ages at dusk, if clear skies.
Saturday, Oct. 28, 2 p.m. – Pumpkin carving and Halloween party for pre-school through 3rd grade.
- USD Community Education Fall 2006 Classes – Offering a variety of exciting courses to the citizens of Vermillion and surrounding area. For more information, please go to www.usd.edu/ce.
Saturday, Oct. 21, 9 to 11 a.m., Add Years to Your Life, public library.
1 to 4 p.m., Scrabble Scrimmage, public library.
2 to 5 p.m., Yarn Spinning II, LumoStudios, $30.
Monday, Oct. 23, 6 to 7 p.m., How to Buy and Sell on Ebay, USD McKusick Tech room #110, $10.
Tuesday, Oct. 24, 7 to 8 p.m., Guidance Central, VHS Room #16.
Wednesday, Oct. 25, 6 to 8 p.m., Computer Basics II, USD McKusick Tech room #110, $10.
Thursday, Oct. 26, 6 to 8 p.m., Book Club Giants of the Earth, public library.
6 to 7 p.m., Self Defense, VHS wrestling room.
- National Music Museum Brown Bag Lunch Program – 12:05 to 2:55 p.m. at the Arne B. Larson Concert Hall. This event is free and open to the public. Coffee and tea will be available for 50 cents.
Events are as follows: Friday, Oct. 20, "Contemporary Traditional Acoustic" featuring Dorian Michael from central California performing original compositions, blues, and traditional guitar and vocals.
Friday, Oct. 27, "Klassic Klarinet Klezmer II" featuring Deborah Check Reeves, NMM Curator of Education, and John D. Check, piano, Central Missouri State University.
- City Surplus/Abandoned Vehicle Auction – An auction of city surplus and abandoned vehicles will be conducted on Friday, Oct. 20. The auction will begin at 5:30 p.m. at the Municipal Service Center, 115 West Duke Street. A list of the vehicles to be auctioned is available under the classifieds tab – Bids and Contracts.
- PTA Meeting for Middle School Parents – Tuesday, Oct. 24 at 7 p.m. in the Middle School Library. "Are You Wondering Where the Survival Guide for Middle School Is?" Come share ideas and hear what other parents and teachers have to say on allowance, make-up, dating, and much more. For more information, please contact Patty Rarick at 624-8549.
- USD Wedding Show – Thursday, Oct. 26 from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Al Neuharth Media Center. This event showcases bridal vendors, ideas, services, and products, with a bridal fashion show at 8 p.m. featuring various different and beautiful wedding dress fashions.
- VCDC Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre – Friday, Oct. 27 at the Eagles Club. Seating begins at 6 p.m., with the show beginning at 6:30 p.m. "Big Daddy" Sugarbaker cordially invites you to attend his campaign fund-raising dinner. With the "help" of his family and friends, he intends to be the next Governor of the great state of Georgia. Big Daddy always gets what Big Daddy wants, but this time, will someone get in his way? Costumes are encouraged! As the theme is "The South," everyone from the southern elite to backwoods rednecks are welcome! Advanced ticket sales only – please call 624-5571 to purchase yours today. Tickets are $30 each, $50 per couple or limited "Friends of Big Daddy VIP tickets" are $35 each or $60 per couple. Don't miss this exciting evening of mystery!
- Police/Emergency Communications Open House – Saturday, Oct. 28 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Public Safety Center at 15 Washington Street. This year's theme is Halloween safety for kids, so kids are encouraged to come with their parents and costumes!
- Valiant Vineyards Wine-makers' Dinner – Saturday, Oct. 28 at 7 p.m. The menu for the evening will be: Sonoma cheese torte with crustini; fall salad with mandarin oranges, apples, cranberries, and pecans tossed with honey mustard dressing; trio of wild mushroom soup; gorgonzola stuffed beef filet with merchant du vin sauce, pommes sherry and broccoli; white and dark Belgian chocolate mousse. This is a reservation-only event. For more information or to purchase your $50 ticket, contact 624-4500. Come and enjoy great food and wine with the Vermillion community and Valiant Vineyards!
- Volunteers Needed for Big Friend/Little Friend – They have just accepted several new little friends, and need several big friends to pair with them. If you have any questions or would like to volunteer, please contact John Gille at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Vendors Wanted for the Senior Citizen Center Annual Bazaar – which will be held on Saturday, Nov. 11 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. If you are interested, please contact Crystal McGuire at 624-8072.
- Free Yard Waste Disposal – The City of Vermillion Landfill is accepting free yard waste, leaves and grass, all fall. Roll-off containers to accept yard waste are positioned at the Missouri Valley Recycling facility for your convenience. Hours are Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Saturday, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Community Calendar/Weekly Update – To check out more great community events, or if you would like to submit an event or a promotion, please log on to www.vermillionchamber.com or contact 624-5571.
Upcoming Meetings and Events:
City Council Meeting, Monday, Nov. 6. Agendas are available at www.vermillion.us.
Don't forget to vote on Tuesday, Nov. 7, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., at the Armory.