- Friends of the W.H. Over Museum Firefighter Exhibit – An exhibit commemorating firefighters and promoting Fire Prevention Week is now appearing in Sletwold Hall. The exhibit is composed of a collection of firefighting articles and memorabilia collected by Vermillion firefighter, Ray Decker. Articles in the collection include helmets, badges, air packs, nozzles, unit/department patches, photographs, toys, fire extinguishers, plaques, signs, banners, clothing, radios, equipment and a memorial display honoring the 9/11 FDNY firefighters. Objects in the collection have been acquired from the numerous fire departments and sources from around the world during a 35-year career as a volunteer firefighter. The exhibit will close Oct. 31. For more information contact 677-5228.
- Public Open House – The Vermillion Chamber of Commerce & Development Company cordially invites the Vermillion Charlie Battery Troops along with their families and the public to an Open House Reception on Sunday, Oct. 15 from 2 to 4 p.m. at Valiant Vineyards Winery. There will be a brief program beginning at 2:30 p.m. led by Clay County Veteran's Service Officer Ray Hofman, and Mayor Dan Christopherson.
- The University of South Dakota Theatre Presents Macbeth by William Shakespeare – This modern dress production of Shakespeare's acclaimed tragedy focuses on love and the evil that may be done for it! Contact 677-5400 to reserve your tickets: $10 adult, $8 seniors, $6 youth and non-USD students, and USD students with ID $3.
Wednesday, Oct.11, 7:30 p.m. at the Wayne S. Knutson Theatre.
Thursday, Oct. 12, 7:30 p.m.at the Wayne S. Knutson Theatre.
Friday, Oct. 13, 7:30 p.m. at the Wayne S. Knutson Theatre.
Saturday, Oct. 14, 7:30 p.m. at the Wayne S. Knutson Theatre.
Sunday, Oct. 15, 2 p.m. at the Wayne S. Knutson Theatre
- National Music Museum Brown Bag Lunch Program – Friday, Oct. 13, 12:05 to 12:55 p.m. at the Arne B. Larson Concert Hall. "Rural Roots & the Global Family" featuring Larry Olson, rural Lincoln County, South Dakota guitarist and vocalist. This event is free and open to the public. Coffee and tea will be available for 50 cents. For more information contact the National Music Museum at 677-5306.
W.H. Over Museum Lessons – These events are open to children of all ages. For more information on any of these classes contact 677-5228.
Saturday, Oct. 14, 9:30 to 11 a.m. – Introduction to Watercolors with Dickie Lee Jones-Kee for all ages.
Saturday, Oct. 21, 9:30 to 11 a.m. – Introduction to Watercolors with Dickie Lee-Jones-Kee for all ages.
Friday, Oct. 27, Astronomy Club First Quarter Observing for all ages at dusk, if clear skies.
Saturday, Oct. 28, 9:30 to 11 a.m – Pumpkin carving & Halloween party for pre-school through third grade.
- USD Community Education Fall 2006 Classes – Offering a variety of exciting courses to the citizens of Vermillion and surrounding area. For more information, please go to www.usd.edu/ce
Thursday, Oct. 12, 6 to 7 p.m., Creative Writing-Drama, VHS Room #31, $5.
Saturday, Oct. 14, 10 to 11:30 a.m., Fishing Fun, Public Library.
Monday, Oct. 16, 7 to 8 p.m., Domestic Violence Awareness, VHS Room #15.
Tuesday, Oct. 17, 7 to 8 p.m., Guidance Central, VHS Room #16.
Wednesday, Oct. 18, 6 to 8 p.m., Computer Basics 1, USD McKusick Tech Room #10, $10.
Thursday, Oct. 19, 6 to 7 p.m., Creative Writing-poetry, VHS Room #31, $5.
Saturday, Oct. 21, 9 to 11 a.m., Add Years to Your Life, Public Library.
- 2006 Leadership Vermillion Class – The VCDC will be hosting an economic development learning session on Friday, Oct. 13, including discussion with the South Dakota Office of Commercialization, the Governor's Office of Economic Development, as well as local topics including tours of Masaba, Polaris, and Wal-Mart. The day will conclude with a reception at Mayor Dan and Gloria Christopherson's residence at 124 Center Street. Leadership Vermillion alumni are welcome to attend the reception, which begins at 5 p.m. Alumni please RSVP by calling 624-9333. A special thanks to Dan and Gloria for hosting the reception!
- Vermillion Public Library Fishing Fun – Saturday, Oct. 14 from 10 to 11:30 a.m. in the community room of the Vermillion Public Library. Learn fishing skills from an expert by attending a presentation by Norman Kronick of Fisherman's Bait & Tackle in South Sioux City, NE.
- Joleen Bos Benefit – Saturday, Oct.14 at the Eagles Club. The family and friends of Jolene Bos are sponsoring a supper-auction-dance benefit in order to help Jolene and her family as she recovers from a double transplant, receiving a kidney and pancreas. Supper begins at 5 p.m., where a free will donation is greatly appreciated. The auction begins at 6:30 p.m., with the dance immediately following. For more information on how to donate items to the auction or to make a cash donation, please contact Pam Ganschow at 625-267-2607, or Jean and Gary Groves at 624-2400.
- Dean's Lecture Series – Entrepreneurship: Idea to Commercialization – The public is cordially invited to attend "How it Really Happens" on Tuesday, Oct.17, 3 p.m. at the Farber Center. Featured panelists include: Mary Derby, president of PullUin Software, Diane Teigiser, director of licensing of National Geographic Society, Mary Guthrie, production manager of Cornell University, Nancy Seeman, freelance inventor, and Tom Eninger, freelance inventor. This educational lecture is sponsored by Dean Mike Keller, Beacon School of Business, the Vermillion Chamber of Commerce & Development Company and the Vermillion Entrepreneurship Center, and The University of South Dakota Office of Research and Sponsored Programs.
- Vermillion Lions Club Fall Pancake Days – Wednesday, Oct.18, 5 to 7 p.m. and Thursday, Oct. 19, 5 to 7 p.m. at the National Guard Armory/Vermillion Community Center. Help the Vermillion Lions Club help others donate your used eyeglasses and hearing aids!
- Valiant Vineyards Winemakers Dinner – Saturday, Oct. 28 at 7 p.m. The menu for the evening will be: Sonoma cheese torte with crustini, fall salad with mandarin oranges, apples, cranberries, and pecans tossed with honey mustard dressing, trio of wild mushroom soup, Gorgonzola stuffed beef filet with merchant du vin sauce, pommes sherry and broccoli, white and dark Belgian chocolate mousse. This is a reservation only event; for more information or to purchase your $50 ticket, contact 624-4500. Come and enjoy great food and wine with the Vermillion community and Valiant Vineyards!
- Volunteers Needed for Big Friend/Little Friend – Big Friend/Little Friend is in need of volunteers! They have just accepted several new little friends, and need several big friends to pair with them. If you have any questions or would like to volunteer, please contact John Gille at email@example.com.
- Vendors wanted for the Senior Citizen Center Annual Bazaar – which will be held on Saturday, Nov. 11 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. If you are interested, please contact Crystal McGuire at 624-8072.
- The Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce & Development Company welcomes Walker Construction – The VCDC would like to welcome new member Walker Construction. Tom and John Walker specialize in excavation, dirt work, loaders, as well as big and small concrete jobs. They are located at 603 South Norbeck Street. Welcome to the Vermillion Chamber of Commerce & Development Company!
- Community Calendar/Weekly Update – To check out more great community events, or if you would like to submit an event or a promotion, please log onto www.vermillionchaber.com or contact 624-5571.
Upcoming Meetings and Events:
City council meeting – Monday, Oct. 16, 7 p.m. at the Al Neuharth Center. Agendas are available at www.cityofvermillion.com.
Don't forget to vote on Tuesday, Nov. 7, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the Armory.
VCDC Murder Mystery Theater is Friday, Oct. 27.