The South Dakota women's team, which saw its run of four straight team titles end, placed three runners in the top 10. Kelsey Maloney, a sophomore from Sioux Falls, finished second (22:19.41) to lead the Coyotes to a third-place team finish as USD totaled 77 points.
North Dakota won its fourth women's team title while the Minnesota State men won its third straight team title. Jillian Tholen of Augustana was the women's individual titlist with a clocking of 22:04.30.
Wetering of Sioux Falls, won his first NCC individual title by covering the 8,000-meter course in 25:10.56. Matt Yaggie, a sophomore from Mission Hill, finished ninth in 26:02.20 as USD placed two runners in the top 10.
South Dakota was fifth in the men's team race with 101 points. Minnesota State won its third straight team title with 37 points while Minnesota-Duluth was second with 52 points. With his title, Wetering became the eighth Coyote and the second straight USD men's student-athlete to win the individual title (Tony Turgeon, 2005).
The other men's team results included Sean Fitzsimmons (freshman, Yankton), 28th, 27:10.88; Rob Gregoire (freshman, Wakonda), 31st, 27:28.45; Josh Blue (senior, Council Bluffs, IA), 32nd; Josh Jeffery (junior, Spearfish), 33rd, 27:40.05; and Ben Schlosser (freshman, Elkhorn, NE), 36th, 28:40.30.
The South Dakota women's team was led by Kelsey Maloney, a sophomore from Sioux Falls, who finished a career-best second with a clocking of 22:19.41. Amy Lindner, a senior from Sioux Falls, was sixth in 22:41.61 while sophomore Lexie Dunlop of Woodbine, IA, captured 10th in 23:03.28. Other USD results included Jessica Lundgren (sophomore, Truman, MN), 23rd, 23:37.67; Amy Steckelberg (senior, Yankton), 36th, 25:02.51; and Heather Kuhlmann (redshirt freshman, Nebraska City, NE), 40th, 25:37.95.
Women's Team Race
1. North Dakota, 44
2. Augustana, 61
3. South Dakota , 77
4. Minnesota-Duluth, 101
5. Nebraska-Omaha, 112
6. Minnesota State, 120
7. St. Cloud State, 195
Individuals – top 10
1. Jillian Tholen, Augustana, 22:04.30
2. Kelsey Maloney, South Dakota, 22:19.41
3. Liz Palkie, Minnesota-Duluth, 22:31.80
4. Margaret Landberg, North Dakota, 22:35.00
5. Jessica Pape, Augustana, 22:37.55
6. Amy Lindner, South Dakota, 22:41.61
7. Rachelle Duerre, North Dakota, 22:56.23
8. Kristy Keithley, North Dakota, 22:58.43
9. Kaylen Harris, Nebraska-Omaha, 22:59.22
10. Lexie Dunlop, South Dakota, 23:03.28
Men's Team Race
1. Minnesota State, 37
2. Minnesota-Duluth, 52
3. Augustana, 80
4. North Dakota, 89
5. South Dakota, 101
6. St. Cloud State, 189
Men's Top – 10 Individuals
1. Tyler Wetering, South Dakota, 25:10.56
2. Eric Atkinson, Minnesota-Duluth, 25:12.45
3. Chad Backsen, Augustana, 25:16.66
4. Jason Rengo, Minnesota State, 25:29.41
5. James Krajsa, Minnesota State, 25:32,02
6. John Kallemyn, Minnesota-Duluth, 25:38.18
7. Jesse Merkel, Minnesota State, 25:42.04
8. Lee DeKrey, North Dakota, 25:55.26
9. Matt Yaggie, South Dakota, 26:02.20
10. Dan Ristar, Minnesota State, 26:04.62