The Norwegian Lutheran Congregation was organized on Oct. 8, 1864, near Vermillion. This congregation included the Norwegian Lutherans in Clay, Union, and Yankton counties. In 1867, this extensive congregation was divided into three districts � Bergen in Clay County, Brule Creek in Union County and Vangen in Yankton County.
In the spring of 1871, construction began on a church building for the Bergen congregation and the first services were held July 19, 1871. The building was not complete until 1891 when the bell tower was added. The Bergen Lutheran Congregation was officially incorporated in 1886.
The present church building was constructed in 1909 and 1910 with the cornerstone being laid Oct. 3, 1909 and dedication on June 11, 1911. Construction of the fellowship hall addition began in 1995 and was dedicated on June 29, 1997.
Over the 142 years, there have been many ice cream socials, potlucks, chicken suppers, lutefisk dinners, oyster stews and box socials. Breaking bread together was a lot of hard work, but also an important time of fellowship.
Everyone is welcome to join us as we break bread together and celebrate our heritage.