- National Music Museum Brown Bag Lunch Program – 12:05 to 12:55 p.m. at the Arne B. Larson Concert Hall. This event is free and open to the public. Coffee and tea will be available for 50 cents.
- Friday, Dec. 1 – "Holiday Brass" featuring the USD Faculty Brass Quintet.
- Friday, Dec. 9 – "A Euclidean Encore," featuring the Euclid String Quartet.
- Dakota Screen Works Open House & Ribbon Cutting – Wednesday, Nov. 29, from 4 to 6 p.m. at 25 West Main Street, with a ribbon cutting ceremony at 5:15 p.m. Come help welcome Mark and Julie Nelson to the Vermillion community, and learn a little more about their business.
- USD Foundation/Freedom Forum Al Neuharth Media Center Open House – Thursday, Nov. 30, 5 to 7 p.m. at the Wagner Center. Come view a photograph exhibit by Paul Schiller titled, "A Walk Across Dakota: A Unique Perspective of the Dakota Prairie," and help honor Kent Scribner, a retiring member of the fund-raising staff.
- VCDC Home for the Holidays – Friday, Dec.1, 6 p.m. in historic downtown Vermillion. Bring the kids to watch Santa arrive downtown in a parade of lights and flip the switch to light Vermillion's Christmas tree, followed by stories with Santa and Mrs. Claus and crafts for kids at the Vermillion Public Library! This is also a fantastic time for the grown-ups to do a little Christmas shopping, with extended store hours and some fantastic open houses and holiday deals! Additionally, we will be running our Holiday Rewards. Just shop the weekend of Dec. 1, 2 and 3 and drop your receipts off at the VCDC office located at 906 East Cherry St. by Dec. 10. Receipts will be entered into a drawing for $200 in Vermillion Bucks! And, as always, the first weekend of December is our Red Dot Sales Event, where you can win $50 in Vermillion Bucks for shopping locally. Come home for the holidays with the VCDC, area merchants, and Santa!
- "Come Be Our Guest at the 40th Christmas Fest" – Sunday, Dec. 3, 1 to 4:30 p.m. at the W.H. Over Museum. This event showcases crafts, music, and food. There are also many beautifully decorated Christmas trees to enjoy. For more information, contact the W.H. Over Museum at 677-5228.
- Vermillion's "Community Tour of Lights" Contest – All Vermillion residents are invited to add sparkle to our community by entering this year's Community Tour of Lights Contest! Entry forms can be picked up at the Vermillion Chamber of Commerce & Development Company, City Hall, Clay-Union Electric, and area merchants. Entry forms must be turned in to the Vermillion Chamber of Commerce & Development Company no later than noon on Tuesday, Dec. 5, as judging will take place the evening of Dec. 6. All contest entries will be showcased during the VCDC Community Tour of Lights bus tour on Dec. 10 at 6 p.m. The bus will depart from the VCDC parking lot at 906 East Cherry Street. If you are interested in the bus tour, or if you have any questions regarding the lighting contest, please call the VCDC office at 624-5571. This contest is free to enter, and the winners will receive $50 in Vermillion Bucks and a yard sign designating them as the contest winners – not to mention some hefty bragging rights! Happy lighting!
- VCDC Holiday Procession of the Season – runs through Dec. 31. 'Tis the season of open houses, great deals, and fellowship! These are just a few of the open houses and events that will be a part of the Holiday Procession of the Season! Watch for more exciting events coming soon!
- Nov. 30, 5 to 7 p.m. – Holiday Open House for USD Foundation/Freedom Forum Al Neuharth Media Center.
- Dec. 1, 6 p.m. – VCDC Lighting of Community Tree.
7 to 8:15 p.m. – Vermillion Public Library Open House.
- Dec. 1 and 2, Red Dot Sales Event.
- Dec. 1 and 2 – Never Never Land and Nook 'n Cranny Holiday Open House.
- Dec. 1, 2 and 3 – Holiday Rewards.
- Dec. 2, 1 and 3 p.m. – Hollywood Video free movie: Over the Hedge.
- Dec. 3, 1 to 4:30 p.m. – "Come Be Our Guest at the 40th Christmas Fest."
- Dec. 9, 1 and 3 p.m. – Hollywood Video free movie: Barnyard.
- Dec. 10, 6 to 8 p.m. – "Vermillion Holiday Tour of Lights."
- Call for Volunteers – We are looking for volunteers for the Midwest Basketball Tournaments. The girl's tournament runs Friday, Dec. 1 from 6 to 10 p.m., and Saturday, Dec. 2 from 9 a.m. to noon, and 3 to 7p.m. The boy's tournament runs Friday, Dec. 8 from 6 to 10 p.m., and Saturday, Dec. 9 from 9 a.m. to noon, and 3 to 7 p.m. Volunteers are needed to run the time clock, keep score, work the door, and sell t-shirts. Any amount of time would be greatly appreciated! If you are interested in participating, please contact the VCDC office at 624-5571.
- USD Community Education Fall 2006 Classes – Offering a variety of exciting courses to the citizens of Vermillion and surrounding areas. For more information, please go to www.usd.edu/ce.
- Saturday, Dec. 16, 1 to 4 p.m. – Scrabble Scrimmage, Public Library.
- Community Calendar/Weekly Update – To check out more great community events, or if you would like to submit an event or a promotion, please log onto www.vermillionchamber.com or contact 624-5571.
Upcoming Meetings and Events:
City Council Meeting Monday, Dec. 4. Agendas are available at www.vermillion.us.
VCDC office will be closed Thursday, Nov. 23 and Friday, Nov. 24 for Thanksgiving! Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!