- W.H. Over Museum Lessons – These events are open to children of all ages. For more information on any of these classes contact 677-5228.
Saturday, Nov. 4, Kids Club – How Your Body Works.
Saturday, Nov. 11, 10 a.m. – Veteran's Day Program, Veteran's Day USO Dance & Fund Raiser.
Friday, Nov. 24 – Astronomy Club First Quarter Observing for all ages at dusk, if clear.
- USD Community Education Fall 2006 Classes – Offering a variety of exciting courses to the citizens of Vermillion and surrounding area. For more information, please go to www.usd.edu/ce.
- Thursday, Nov. 2, 6 p.m. – 7 p.m., Drawing, VHS Room #13, $5.
- Saturday, Nov. 4, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. – Knitting, VHS Room #35, $30.
- Monday, Nov. 6, to 8 p.m., Photoshop, USD McKusick Tech Room #110, $10.
Tuesday, Nov. 7, 7 to 9 p.m., Cake Decorating, VHS Room #35, $15 without cake, $20 with cake.
Wednesday, Nov. 8, 6 to 8 p.m., Introduction to Windows, USD McKusick Tech Room #110, $10.
Monday, Nov. 13, 6 to 8 p.m., FrontPage, USD McKusick Tech room #110, $10.
Tuesday, Nov. 14, 7 to 8 p.m., Retirement Savings, VHS Room #14.
Thursday, Nov. 16, 6 to 8 p.m., Book Club West of Kabul, East of New York, Public Library.
Thursday, Nov. 16, 6 to 8 p.m., Digital Camera, USD McKusick Tech room #110, $10.
- National Music Museum Brown Bag Lunch Program – 12:05 to 12:55 p.m. at the Arne B. Larson Concert Hall. This event is free and open to the public. Coffee and tea will be available for 50 cents.
- Friday, Nov. 3, "Ritmos Latinos: Sounds of Percussion from Latin America and the Caribbean," featuring Darin Wadley and members of the USD Percussion Ensemble.
- Friday, Nov. 10, "Songs from the Stage." Darla Earnest, soprano, who performs on opera and musical theater stages internationally, with Bruce Earnest, tenor, director of musical theater at USD, and Aidan Soder, mezzo-soprano, assistant professor of voice, and Jayson Dobney, NMM associate director, playing the NMM's digital piano donated by Yamaha Corporation of America and Westmoor Music, Sioux Falls.
- Dalesburg Scandinavian Association Annual Meeting – Thursday, Nov. 2. A complimentary catered meal will be served for members followed by the business meeting. New members are welcome! Please contact Connie Richards at 605-763-5128 for details and to make reservations.
- Town Square Health Fair – Wednesday, Nov. 8, 1 to 4 p.m. at 507 W. Main in the Community Room, with Candise Gregory for Medicare Part D and Medicare Fraud, Lindsey Holmberg from the American Cancer Society, Cheryl Hill from Social Services, Marsha Thompson for flu shots and blood sugars, Andrea from PT, Sioux Valley Home Medical Equipment, Avera Home Medical, and Lavonne and Amanda from Home Extension for interactive food safety. Everyone is welcome.
- USD Farber Forum Presenting Joan Cheever – Wednesday, Nov. 8, 7 p.m. at the Neuharth Center Conference Room. What would happen if the United States abolished the death penalty and emptied its Death Rows? If killers were released from prison? What would they do with their second chance to live? Would they kill again? Joan Cheever is the author of Back from the Dead: One Woman's Search for the Men Who Walked off America's Death Row.
- Senior Center Fall Bazaar and Bake Sale – Saturday, Nov. 11, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Senior Center. Join them for soup, sandwiches, pies and baked goods galore, fresh coffee, many vendors, and raffles. This will be a fun day for all!
- W.H. Over Veteran's Day Program – Saturday, Nov. 11 at 10 a.m. in Sletwold Hall. Refreshments will be served. For more information contact the W.H. Over Museum at 677-5228.
- USD Farber Forum Presenting Mark W. Bennett – Tuesday, Nov. 14th,4 p.m. at Farber Hall. Iowa Chief Judge J. Mark W. Bennett has presided over the trials of two of the most notorious murderers in the Midwest, and his presentation is titled, "Life in the Balance: Reflections of a Federal District Court Judge on two Death Penalty Trials."
- Clay County Historical Society Tour of Homes – Sunday, Nov. 19, 2 to 4:30 p.m. Tickets are $12.50, and are available at Nook 'n Cranny, Vermillion Beauty Shop, The Sir Stylists Beauty Shop, and the Austin-Whittemore House. Homes this year are decked out in both fall and Christmas themes, and are sure to be absolutely beautiful. Get your tickets today! If you have questions about the tour, call Cleo Erickson at 624-8266.
- Free Yard Waste Disposal – The City of Vermillion Landfill is accepting free yard waste, leaves and grass, all fall. Roll-off containers to accept yard waste are positioned at the Missouri Valley Recycling facility for your convenience. Hours are M-F 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Saturday, 4:30 p.m. to noon.
- Speedee Mart Holiday Promotion – Stop in at Speedee Mart, 800 East Cherry Street, between now and Jan. 7 and sample a new flavor or Larue coffee every week!
- Prairie Lanes Business League – Get your business rollin', and be the featured "Business of the Week." Tuesday nights at 5:30 p.m. The league runs from Oct. 31 to Dec. 19, and is limited to eight three-person teams. This is a great way to present your business and get to know your co-workers! Each week one business will get to bring out brochures, pamphlets, and explain their specials so other teams can see just what their business has to offer. For more information contact Prairie Lanes at 624-2657.
- VCDC Holiday Procession of the Season – runs from Nov. 1 to Dec. 31. 'Tis the season of Open Houses, great deals, and fellowship! These are just a few of the open houses and events that will be a part of the Holiday Procession of the Season! Watch for more exciting events coming soon!
- Nov. 3 – VCDC Member Appreciation Night – beginning at 7 p.m. at Open Mike's.
- Nov. 3 & 4� Red Dot Sales Event and Holiday Rewards Weekend!
- Holiday Rewards Drawing – Shop Vermillion area merchants during the weekend of Nov. 3, 4, and 5 to be entered into a drawing for $200 in Vermillion Bucks! Receipts must be dropped off at the VCDC office at 906 E. Cherry Street by Nov. 10 to qualify!
- Nov. 4 and 5 – Holiday Open Houses for Candy Bouquet/DooWop Shake Shop, Coffee Shop Gallery, Nygren's True Value, Tigert Art Gallery, and Willson Florist.
- Nov. 8 – 1 to 4 p.m. – Town Square Health Fair.
- Nov. 9 – 4 to 7 p.m. – Holiday Open House for Hy-Vee.
- Nov. 11 – 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. – Vermillion Senior Center Fall Bazaar and Bake Sale.
- Nov. 11 – 2 to 5 p.m. – Open Houses/Grand Opening Ribbon Cutting Ceremonies for Man of the Cloth and Ot 'n Dot's in downtown Vermillion.
- Nov. 16 – 4 to 7 p.m. – Jones' Food Center Holiday Open House.
- Community Calendar/Weekly Update – To check out more great community events, or if you would like to submit an event or a promotion, please log onto www.vermillionchamber.com or contact 624-5571.
Upcoming Meetings and Events: City Council Meeting, Monday, Nov. 6. Agendas are available at www.vermillion.us.
Don't forget to vote on Tuesday, Nov. 7, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the Armory.
The VCDC Office will be closed Friday, Nov. 10.
Vermillion was named Large Community of the Year by Gov. Dennis Daugaard on Tuesday evening in Sioux Falls at the … Read Article