- Community Education Spring 2007 Schedule – Feb. 5 – Nutrition for Children, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m., Extension Office, free. Feb. 8 – Drawing, 5 to 7 p.m., VHS, Room #13, $5. Feb. 10 – Puzzle Party, 1 to 4 p.m., public library, free.
- National Music Museum Brown Bag Lunch Program – 12:05 to 12:55 p.m. at the Arne B. Larson Concert Hall. This event is free and open to the public. Coffee and tea will be available for 50 cents. Jan. 26 – Roma di Luna, featuring Elizabeth Bonacci aka Eliza Blue (guitar, fiddle, banjo, voice), Channy Moon Casselle (fiddle, voice, tambourine) and Alexei Moon Casselle (guitar, voice, fedora), performing original songs of varying shade, style, and shape, as well as traditional ballads. Roma di Luna ensemble "strives not for perfection, but for purpose. We play with casual smiles and convicted hearts, placing song before self, to share what we feel so passionately about and humbled to sing." Feb. 2 – (Electricity + Energy x 4) = the return of an audience favorite, the Euclid String Quartet!
- Community Reception featuring Miles Beacom – Thursday, Jan, 25, 6:30 to 7 p.m. at Valiant Vineyards Winery. This event is being held in conjunction with the Extraordinary Idea Contest, sponsored by the E-team, and is an evening to network and to celebrate entrepreneurs in action! Please join us for a wonderful evening. We hope to see you there!
- Pi Sigma Epsilon Student Silent Auction – Thursday, Jan. 25 at 6 p.m. at the Valiant Vineyards Winery. Come hear speaker Don Jacobs from Results Radio and bid on some great prizes. For more information, contact the Vermillion Chamber of Commerce & Development Company at 624-5571, or e-mail email@example.com.
- 1st Annual "Heroes behind the Badges" Community Blood Drive – Friday, Jan. 26, from 1 to 6 p.m. at Sioux Valley Vermillion Hospital. The public is encouraged to come in to donate and designate their donation to the department of their choice. All donors will receive a blood donor wristband. January is National Blood Donor Month. Donating blood takes 20 to 30 minutes and makes a life-saving difference in up to three patients' lives. This blood drive will help boost the local blood supply. Give blood, give life.
- Valiant Vineyards Winery Winemakers Dinner – Saturday, Jan. 27 at 7 p.m. Enjoy this special five-course culinary experience, featuring a South Dakota cheese torte with Larry Smith's foccacia; cranberry spinach salad; the trio of wild mushroom soup with chanterelle, porcini and morel mushrooms, fillet of pheasant breast in a sherry cream sauce, and Belgian chocolate mousse. Each course is paired with an appropriate Valiant Vineyards wine. $50 per ticket, plus tax and gratuity. Call 624-4500 for reservations.
- Polaris 10th Anniversary Celebration – Saturday, Feb. 3 from 2 to 5 p.m. at Polaris. Help Polaris celebrate 10 years of business in Vermillion! There will be tours of their 256,000 square-foot facility. Hot dogs, pop and cookies will be available, along with door prizes.
- Vermillion/USD Day in Pierre – Thursday, Feb. 8. All Vermillion residents are encouraged to make the trip to Pierre to support this event. The city of Vermillion has arranged for a charter bus, which will leave the Pamida parking lot at 6:30 a.m. and arrive back in Vermillion around midnight the same day. A full day of activities is being organized by USD and the Leadership Vermillion class. Cost is $30 for the round trip. Reservations can be made by contacting Joan Tolsma or John Prescott at City Hall, 677-7050.
- SAO Flamingo Flock Fund Raiser – Feb. 9-11. A flock of pink flamingos could be found on your lawn or invading your office! Contact the Student Action Office (SAO) to flock a friend at her/his home or place of work. Free yourself of flock infestation for a donation of your choice ($20 suggested). To keep from being flocked, flock insurance is available for $15 until Feb. 2 from the SAO. Also, override insurance is available for $50 to flock an individual that has already purchased insurance. For more information, or to purchase any insurance package, please contact the SAO, Old Main 103, 677-6338, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MOPS Group Meetings – The Vermillion MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group meets the second and fourth Thursday of each month from September to May from 9 to 11:30 a.m. For more information, please contact Carolyn Carr at 624-6142, Nicole Mockler at 624-3877 or Karen Prescott at 624-4645.
- Big Friend-Little Friend Seeks Volunteers – Big Friends-Little Friends matches youths ages 5-17 in Clay and Union counties, and is seeking volunteers to match with the youths. Volunteers spend two hours per week with their friend. To sign up as a volunteer, contact John Gille at 605-356-2571 or cell, 605-421-5050, or e-mail at email@example.com.
Community Calendar – To check out more great community events, or if you would like to submit an event or a promotion, please log on to www.vermillioncha mber.com.