- Eighteenth Annual Oscar Howe Memorial Lecture Set – Thursday, Sept. 20 at 7 p.m. at Farber Hall in Old Main on the USD campus. The university will host author and professor of art history Bill Anthes, Ph.D., a noted scholar who writes on contemporary Native American art and culture.
He's recently released a book on Native American Modernists, published by Duke University Press, which prominently features the role of Oscar Howe in the generation that came to imminence between 1940 and 1960. The lecture will be followed by a reception at the USD Native American Cultural Center. For more information about the lecture, please contact the USD Director of Art Galleries John A. Day at 677-3177.
- National Music Museum's Brown Bag Lunch Program – Friday, Sept. 21 from 12:05 to 12:55 p.m. at 414 E. Clark Street, featuring Jack Norton and the Mullet River Boys from Minneapolis. They perform vintage ragtime and jazz, hobo bluegrass, honky-tonk country, gospel and vaudeville-inspired folk. Call 677-5228 for more details.
- Minnesota Renaissance Festival Trip – Classic Hits 106.3 KVHT-FM and the Newman Center are co-sponsoring the annual journey to Shakopee, MN for the area's largest and oldest Renaissance Festival. The carpool will leave Newman Center at 5 p.m. and stay overnight in the St. Peter Church.
They will attend the festival on Saturday, and will return to Vermillion around 1 p.m. on Sunday. There is a $25 fee due the day of departure. Cost includes tickets, transportation and Saturday continental breakfast. Register at the Newman Center front desk or call KVHT at 665-2600 or Newman Center at 677-5028 for more information.
- Eagles Club Child Health & Safety Carnival – Saturday, Sept. 22 from 1 to 5 p.m. Parents and children of all ages are welcome to join us for this free, educational, and fun-filled event which will include learning about nutrition, drug and alcohol awareness, tours of emergency vehicles, games, fingerprinting kits, hot dogs, and much more.
For more details, please call the Eagles at 624-9934. We look forward to seeing you there!
- University of South Dakota Coyotes – Saturday, Sept. 22, the Coyotes will host St. Cloud State University in the DakotaDome at 2 p.m. Please come out and support the Coyotes! For ticket information please call 677-5309 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
To check out more great community events, or if you would like to submit an event or a promotion, please log on to www.vermillionchamber.com or contact 624-5571.
- Red Road Gathering – Sept. 27-29.
- SD Baseball Hall of Fame Inductee Kirk Sorenson (Sioux Falls) – Sept. 29.
- Business After Hours for Dakota Realty – Oct. 4.
- Household Hazardous Waste Drop Off – Oct. 5.
- Business After Hours for Hy-Vee – Oct. 11.
- USD Dakota Days Homecoming – Oct. 12-13.
- Business After Hours for Banker's Advertising – Oct. 18.
- South Dakota Junior Football Association Playoffs, fifth and sixth grades – Oct. 21.
- VCDC Mystery Dinner Theater – Oct. 26.
- South Dakota Junior Football Association Playoffs, seventh and eighth grades – Oct. 28.