Sesquicentennial Highlights

Sesquicentennial Highlights
Excerpts from the Vermillion Standard, 1879

The stairs leading up the bluff are being repaired for the summer season. The city could make lots of money if it would charge 25 cents a couple per evening.

The new Catholic Church 4 miles east of Vermillion is nearing completion.


A maple sugar festival will be held at the Congregational Church.

The ferry boat comes over to Vermillion landing every Saturday at 11 am and remains until 3 pm. This enables Nebraska people to do their trading in Vermillion.

Mr. L. W. Chandler handed over control of the Standard to Charles B. Welch of Freeport, Ill. It will continue as a Republican paper.

The two popular drug stores have consolidated under the name of Barron & Helgeson. (Mr. Agersborg sold his interest to Helgeson.)

Mr. C. F. Lotze of Berrien Springs, WI, will open up a jewelry store. Mrs. Miner will continue to keep the St. Nicholas Hotel open.

1880

At Komstad, L. A. Anderson, Carl and John Hoyer have established a brick yard. Hay is the fuel used and the first kiln burn proved to be a success.

S. A. Ufford has about 30 cows. He uses the Cooley Creamery and the keg churn.

An old fashioned New England dinner is to be given by the ladies of the Methodist Church at the old stand of Lee & Prentis on Jan. 1st.

1881

The first train since March 28th arrived in Vermillion on May 27th.

During this year, the Flood of 1881 washed away much of the town of Vermillion. This forced the residents and store keepers to seek higher ground by moving to the top of the bluff.

Jolley's house started for its new quarters on the bluff this week.

The remaining part of the St. Nicholas Hotel is being torn down.

Thompson and Lewis have bought the old Jenson Drug Store and will move it to Main St. on the bluff. The brick has already been moved.

J. C Bower has bought the old Van Metre House.

Bridgeman and Lotze have moved into their new store.

Jordan & Bowers have burned their first kiln of bricks numbering 100,000.

The Chandler House is sufficiently completed to have it occupied. It is located on the edge of the bluff and rooms are $1.50 & $2.00 per day.

S. A. Ufford of Fairview is given the credit of starting the first successful creamery in this part of Dakota. At present his oldest son goes about and gathers up the cream.

Each week until the sesquicentennial celebration, this column will present historic information pertaining to the city and surrounding areas.

Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>