Sesquicentennial Highlights

Sesquicentennial Highlights
Clay County Among Oldest Permanent Settlements

Doc. 15

1890


The Congregational friends met in their new church for New Year's Day. All the Episcopal Church buildings are apparently at one place.

Mr. Thompson's new house on the corner of Main and University is progressing well.

Concerning the financial trouble of Rev. M. Garland – Episcopal rector – a lien by local firms is placed against the property for debts. The Rector had difficulty in getting financial aid. The Plain Talk played up a scandal. It was a matter of overextending school, dormitory, etc. Care of the school was placed in hands of preceptors. Bishop Hare is striving to correct things.

The Methodists are considering remodeling their church.

W. G. Bower is making a fine grade of brick from Nebraska dirt at his yard.

The new Baptist Church is dedicated in May.

Miss Susan B. Anthony and Mrs. Mary Seymour Howell of New York will lead an equal suffrage conven-tion in the Congregational Church June 4 and 5.

Mr. C. Sumner used to carry mail from Vermillion to Hurley – now has contract to route from Hurley to Freeman S.D. Mrs. Kate Sumner, the woman stage driver will carry on. She started carrying mail eleven years ago. Her husband had a contract; apparently she always helped him. He deserted her, leaving her with four contracts and six children, the youngest was a six week old baby, plus heavy debts. Her routes: one tri-weekly, Parker to Sioux Falls; one daily, Yankton to Swan Lake; one day, Swan Lake to Parker; one tri-weekly, Swan Lake to Meckling. At the end of the six week period, she gave up three contracts, retaining the one Meckling to Swan Lake, and driving on it herself. She took her baby with her on her buckboard buggy. Her horse often had to swim across Clay Creek when it was swollen. She hardly ever lost a trip and was frequently harassed by prairie fires. Six years ago, the route changed from Hurley to Vermillion, a tri-weekly run every day except Sunday – 43 miles. She has paid off the debt, built a house in Hurley, and has saved $1,200. During 10 years she received $6,000 from the Government. Her contract to Vermillion ceased but she has a 32 mile tri-weekly between Hurley and Freeman.

Bishop Marty will lead the dedication of the new Cath-olic Church on Aug. 15.

The Vermillion fire on Aug. 6, destroyed 18 buildings. A lack of water hampered fire fighting as well as being impetus to brick structures. Sixteen or 20 of the largest business houses were lost. The post office block did not burn. Apparently both sides of Main between Market and Court Street burned to the ground.

Mr. W. G. Bower is kept extremely busy. He has five kilns in constant operation, employs 20 men and has on- hand 350,000 bricks.

Bower is getting ready to make pressed bricks, especially designed for paving purposes. This requires 110 cords of wood for burning and benefits any man who has wood to sell.

Brick sidewalks are going in.

1891

The Vermillion City Council prohibits use of the Vermillion River ice. They say save it for stock, laundry and storage purposes as water is impure.

Editor Willey wants Vermillion to have a system of electric lights, a waterworks, and a street railroad line from Market Street to the University.

The Bolton Post Office which was discontinued some time ago has been reestablished under the name of Westreville, with G. C. Westre as postmaster.

Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>