Sesquicentennial Highlights

Sesquicentennial Highlights
Excerpts from the Dakota Republican

1885

The Old Settlers Society annual ball will be held January 8th at the Vermillion skating rink. A GAR New Year's Ball will be held in Vermillion.


Mr. Bason is building a big new ice house near the railroad tracks. He is also the dray man.

Vermillion now has a Chautauqua Club not to be outdone by other towns.

In March a law was passed prohibiting sale of liquor within three miles of the University of Dakota effective July 1st.

A new election was held on City Hall bonds. The building is not completed and is standing still.

W.G. Bower is preparing to make brick; although a good supply of old brick is currently on hand. The Bower Family Band is performing at Syndicate Hall next Monday evening – 25 cents admission.

The new Catholic Church will be dedicated June 28th.

City Hall bonds finally sustained by Judge Palmer in injunction case brought by A.E. Lee and A.H. Lathrop.

On November 18th, the creamery burned. It was located on the block between Ravine and Smith St. (Dakota and Forest Ave.). It was the best equipped creamery in the West. F.M. Smith created a cash market for butter and eggs in Dakota, starting his business in 1877. A defective chimney is the probable cause. Smith has opened an office at Grange's store to accommodate his patrons.

1886

Coasting by young and old is going on at Bloomingdale St. hill.

The first part of February the Spirit Mound school house burned to the ground. School will continue at a private home.

Winthrop Chandler died. He was born in New York. While in Wisconsin he was very active in anti-slavery movement. Later from Du-buque he came to Vermilion and established the Chandler House in 1878.

Ole Moen has purchased the old Lutheran Church building and now occupies it as a residence.

The new, all brick City Hall is now completed. A back entrance from Church Street leads to the stage and anteroom.

N.P. Burr has received the new machinery for his broom factory and will be ready to supply local and outside market by Oct. 1. He has plenty of stock to work up.

The Vermillion Broom factory has shipped a large consignment to the penitentiary. Newt Burrs's broom factory is turning out some very fine stock.

1887

Peterson's map of Clay County is being delivered.

Mr. Bower has finished burning 160,000 bricks at his artesian yard.

The Old Settlers' Association will have its annual picnic in the Miles Russell grove. All who were here prior to 1870 are recognized as old settlers. A basket picnic will be at 11:00 a.m., later a dinner and Grand Ball at 7:00 p.m. at City Hall.

The Old Settler's picnic adjourned to Oct. 4 due to bad weather.

City Hall is to have a $150. Curtain for the stage.

1888

The Dakota Republican was sold to E.H. Willey.

A movement is on foot to organize a Lady's Cornet Band under the tutorship of G.W. Collins.

The county commission meeting held for a new vault and addition to the Court House. The quality of brick being insufficient at Vermillion.

The Congregational Church has about completed preparations for removing the edifice and parsonage to vacant lots secured on the corner of Main and Ravine.

G.W. Collins has organized a good sized singing school at Burbank. Swedish services in the Congregational Church Vermillion will be next Monday at 7:30.

1889

William Michel has opened a boot and shoe manufacturing and repair store in the building east of Burdick's residence. (It is the first building in old Vermillion now standing and having been moved from Tom Jordan's)

A cyclone struck Vermillion in early June. Damage was only in Vermillion. Many chimneys came down, the Catholic Church was almost entirely demolished, store fronts destroyed and the cupola on the Inman home was destroyed.

The Swedish Congregational Society has purchased the Episcopal Church building and is now holding regular services. Until Episcopalians have their new church finished, they may continue to worship in the old church.

A.J. Charrlin had to shoe and yoke oxen for a "prairie schooner" Monday morning.

The Baptists have decided to put up a new church extending toward the east.

A contract for building the new Catholic Church is awarded.

M.J. Lewis in Sergeant Bluff bought brick for the new Baptist Church.

Cornerstone has been laid for the new Baptist Church.

The Thanksgiving ball will be held at City Hall.

Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>