The event will take place from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the new Avera Professional Office Pavilion and Education Center. This special event is designed for those with diabetes, caregivers of diabetics and those who are simply interested in healthy eating for the holidays.
- 11 a.m. to noon – "Diabetes Update 2007" – presented by Beth Mikkelsen, MD, Yankton Medical Clinic, P.C., and medical director of the Dakota Diabetes Center.
- 12-12:30 p.m. – "Managing Your Diabetes During the Holidays" – presented by Brenda Patzlaff, RD, Avera Sacred Heart Hospital and Hy-Vee.
- Jennifer Monroe, RD, will follow with a demonstration on how to prepare fresh cranberry relish and give a carbohydrate count for lunch.
- 12:30 to 1 p.m. – Lunch – a special meal tailored toward diabetics will be served.
- 1-1:45 p.m. – "Best Foot Forward: Diabetic Care of the Foot" – presented by Terence Pedersen, DPM, FACFAS, Yankton Foot and Ankle Center/Avera.
- 1:45 to 2 p.m. – "Exercise Break" – led by Cathy Larson, Cardiac Rehab, ASHH.
- 2-2:30 p.m. – "High Fructose Corn Syrup: The Hidden Sweetener" – presented by Danette Wortmann, RD, ASHH.
- 2-2:30 p.m. – High Fructose Corn Syrup: The Hidden Sweatener" – presented by Danette Wortmann, RD, ASHH.
- 2-2:30 p.m. – "Food for Thought (recipe modifications)" – presented by Michele Radack, RD, ASHH.
There is no charge, but space is limited for this special event. Please place reservations by calling 605-668-8080.