- National Music Museum Brown Bag Lunch Program – Friday, Jan. 18 from 12:05 to 12:55 p.m. This week they are featuring Front Porch Stories. Alvin, "Little Pink" Anderson, is the son of legendary South Carolina Piedmont bluesman, Pink Anderson. He is the only second-generation blues player active today.
- Bill Hillenbrand Invitational Indoor Track Meet – Friday, Jan. 18 The University of South Dakota Men's/Women's Track & Field will host this meet at the DakotaDome. For more information please contact David Gottsleben or Lucky Huber at firstname.lastname@example.org
- St. Agnes Youth Annual French Toast Breakfast – Sunday, Jan. 20 from 9 to 11 a.m. at the St. Agnes gym. A freewill offering will be taken at the door. The funds raised will go towards the youth group ski trip to Mankato in February. For more information please contact any CYO student or Ray Hofman.
- USD Theatre Production: Of Mice and Men – Sunday, Jan 20 the USD theatre department will be featuring this towering classic of American theatre features two drifters, George and Lennie, who have dreams of living off the "fat of the land" once they have earned enough as ranch hands to buy their own place. Their plans go horribly awry, however, when Lennie has a fateful encounter with the boss' wife. This theatre production will be at the Wayne S. Knutson Theatre on USD campus beginning at 1 p.m. Please contact USD for ticket information.
- Three Rivers Business Resource Center Seminar – Two-part seminar on Tuesday, Jan. 22 and Thursday, Jan. 24 from 6:30 to 9 p.m. This seminar is titled "Idea Generation: The First Step in Starting Your Own Business." The focus of the seminar is to introduce the techniques and strategies to assist aspiring entrepreneurs in generating ideas that could lead to a new business. Dr. Bob Tosterud, professor of Economics and Freeman Chair of Entrepreneurial Studies at the Beacom School of Business, University of South Dakota, will lead the seminar. Cost is $25 and pre-registration is encouraged as space is limited. Please contact Gene Lunn at 677-6465 for details or to register for this seminar.
- Jaycees Event – Friday, Jan. 25, 7 p.m. at the Pressbox on the second floor. It's leadership training with real life experience. Come and find out more about what the Jaycees do and there will be food, fun and facts! For more information you can contact Jen at 624-5900 or email at email@example.com.
- St. Agnes Knights of Columbus Free Throw Contest – Sunday, Jan. 27 at 1 p.m. in the Vermillion High School gym. This is for boys and girls ages 10 years to 14 years old. First place plaques will be given out in each age group.
- Relay for Life – Sunday, Jan. 27 people from all over Clay County will gather to participate for this signature event for the American Cancer Society. Teams will "camp out" at the DakotaDome and take turns walking the track. Please consider forming a team for this event. You can contact Heather McClintock at 605-431-3696 or Bruce Fischbach at 605-677-5960 for details and information. What a great way to start out the new year by participating in this event!
- Free Christmas Tree Drop Off Site – The city of Vermillion will be providing a free Christmas tree drop off site. The site is located on Broadway Street, west of Dakota Street and in the lot to the south side of the street. There will be signs marking the drop off area. Trees will be accepted until Jan. 19.
- Barstow Park Ice Rink – The Vermillion Parks and Recreation will be having their warming house open at the ice rink as follows:
Monday through Friday – 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
Saturday and Sundays – 12 to 5:30 p.m.
- Taste of Home Cooking School – Tickets are now on sale for the Taste of Home Cooking School to be held in Vermillion for the first time on April 17. You can purchase your tickets at the Broadcaster or Jones' Food Center. Tickets are $10 in advance or $15 at the door. Booth space is available, please contact Sheila Prosser at 624-4429 for details.
- Community Calendar/Weekly Update – To check out more great community events, or if you would like to submit an event or a promotion, please log onto www.vermillionchamber.com or contact 624-5571.
Upcoming Events – Mark Your Calendars!
Business Day at the Legislature – Feb. 12.
Vermillion Day in Pierre – Feb. 21.
VCDC Annual Banquet – Feb. 22.
Sanford Community Health Fair – March 1.
Taste of Home Cooking School – April 17.
By Jeremy Hoeck firstname.lastname@example.org The University of South Dakota has parted ways with interim men’s basketball coach Joey James. According … Read Article